The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 10:55 am  #1

Climate Change Disconnect

From "Scientific American" I thought this was rather interesting:

There is good and bad news for climate scientists. The good news: Most Americans (79 percent) say that science and scientists are invaluable.  (Even though I'm a bit miffed about the 79% figure.  I would have thought it should be 100%)

The bad news: On controversial topics such as climate change, a significant number of Americans do not use science to inform their views. Instead, they use political orientation and ideology, which are reflected in their level of education, to decide whether humans are driving planetary warming.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/big-gap-between-what-scientists-say-and-americans-think-about-climate-change/

Last edited by Just Fred (1/30/2015 11:01 am)

1/30/2015 12:05 pm  #2

Re: Climate Change Disconnect

Very interesting, and disappointing, Fred.
But, I believe it.

I've been writing about climate change on various sites for quite some time. I can tell you that, most of the time, if you post an article that cites scietific data, the reaction that you will get is one based in politics.
It's an uphill struggle just to get folks to focus on the data.

I've also written about what I would call a "Binary Worldview". This is a worldview in which a person sees virtually everything as being in either the conservative bucket or the liberal bucket. 
So, if you believe in climate change, this person will decide that you are a far left liberal who french kisses Nancy Pelosi and hates God. They cannot see that people are more complex than that, and that every issue does not neatly fit into one bucket or another.

The accelerated climate change caused by industrial activity is a scientific issue.
What, if anything can or should be done about it will involve political considerations.
But to deny the science because you don't like the politics puts the cart before the horse.

Last edited by Goose (1/30/2015 12:06 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/31/2015 10:51 pm  #3

Grist for the mill from Joe Bastardi, formerly of Accuweather:

Climate IS changing.  Winters are getting colder.

The million dollar question is, how much is due to solar activity, how much due to human activity?

Life is an Orthros.

2/01/2015 7:33 am  #4

See, that is the point.  Unfortunately, the term 'global warming' has been used and been mis-interpreted by many along with confusing short term weather patterns with long term climate change.  Those who cash in the most from the use of petro-chemicals have a real interest in poo-pooing climate change and they've got wads of money to make sure the issue remains muddied.

As I said before, I'm going to side with science on this one.

2/01/2015 7:49 am  #5

Sorry Tarnation. 
That map only shows that winters were colder in the United States in the past decade.

The theory of Global Climate change is much more complex, deal with.
'Climate change', again as the name suggests, refers to the changes in the global climate which result from the increasing average global temperature.  For example, changes in precipitation patterns, increased prevalence of droughts, heat waves, and other extreme weather, etc.

I have seen models that project colder and wetter conditions in the Eastern half of the US, and a more arid southwest.

Data suggest that the speed of these changes is highly unusual, and driven by industrial activity.

How it will affect different areas, and what can and should be done about it are the million dollar questions in the scientific community.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/02/2015 5:13 pm  #6

I thought that they were using old cores of arctic ice to get pretty clear data on CO2 levels going way back.

2/02/2015 6:55 pm  #7

I dunno. The scientists at NASA sure do, in my opinion, make a convincing case.
http://climate.nasa.gov/

BTW, you may be unconvinced, but I think it a bit much to say that it isn't science.
Something to ponder.

2/02/2015 7:00 pm  #8

And yet, we have tens of thousands of scientists studying this who have concluded that the climate is changing rapidly, and that - with great confidence - the warming is driven by human activity,

2/02/2015 9:38 pm  #9

Well, I think that when you look at both climate change and the anti-vaccine people, you will see that all too many of us use our political views to derive opinions on scientific issues.

I don't know what the political leanings of tens of thousands of scientists the world over would be, (I would imagine that it is diverse), so I will look at their data, read their arguments, and give them the benefit of the doubt.

2/03/2015 5:50 am  #10

A few points. I'm afraid that I've come up short in my moderator duties, and let things drift from Fred's original topic starter. Fred posted a Scientific American article that showed:

On controversial topics such as climate change, a significant number of Americans do not use science to inform their views. Instead, they use political orientation and ideology, which are reflected in their level of education, to decide whether humans are driving planetary warming.

I think we might all agree that this is not good.

Secondly, I would ask you to look at an article in the Economy section about a Cargill executive. He doesn't spend much time agonizing about how much man's activities are contributing to a changing the climate.. He merely acknowledges that we are in a period of rapid change that is going to have consequences, and he intends for his industry to be ready for that.
Perhaps we should take a page from that argument, and start doing things rather than having the debate itself become an excuse for inaction.

Last edited by Goose (2/03/2015 5:51 am)

Board footera