The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2015 3:10 pm  #1

County commissioner candidates

Reading over the qualifications this morning in the YDR it is no wonder out county governments function so poorly.  Only one or two of the candidates had any life or work experiences that would remotely qualify them to serve on a local government body and I might add, I've noticed similar inefficiences for local school boards.

5/08/2015 3:19 pm  #2

Re: County commissioner candidates

I've never noticed that our county government is functioning poorly.  I'm curious as to why you think so flowergirl? I mean that as an inquiry, not disagreeing with you.

5/08/2015 9:32 pm  #3

In general I think York County commissioners do a fair job of things.  I came from northern Virginia where each county has one real estate tax rate for all homeowners and it pays for nearly all services including the schools.  I realize changes rarely happen in this state that benefit the consumer/homeowner, like eliminating all these little fiefdoms that each do their own taxing for schools and other services.  I  see little to no effort on the part of the commissioners to campaign to bring about changes thru the legislature to eliminate this very unfair taxing system in the state.  Everyone seems to like and accept the status quo so changes seldom happen and this is what bugs me the most about living in Pennsylvania.  As I read over those qualifications of people wanting to be county commissioners it makes me believe this is why Pennsylvania is what it is and always will be.  Many of the commissioners later become state legislators.

5/09/2015 6:18 am  #4

flowergirl wrote:

Many of the commissioners later become state legislators.

I've watched York County politics very closely for four decades and during that time I cannot recall any County Commissioners running for the state legislature.

Commissioner Chris Reilly has twice sought the Congressional seat and each time he was soundly defeated in the Primary.

Most of the York County delegation to Harrisburg were political newbies at the time of their first election:  Gillespie, Saylor, Klunk, Regan, Grove, and, of course Wagner had not held another office.  The only exception is in the 93rd District where, for two decades, there has been a path from serving as a Dallastown Area School Director to being elected Representative.  Such was the case for Ron Miller and now for his successor, Kristin Philips-Hill.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera