The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2015 5:40 pm  #11

Re: Something will be done.

TraderJay wrote:

The Man wrote:

TraderJay wrote:

Yeah, that's what I say about having different areas of the county paying different rates. I believe if you live in a higher tax area, you should get a bigger cut of the relief. Right now, this district pays this amount and that district pays that amount. Why should a lower tax area get the same relief as a high tax area ? 

If it is a state-wide property tax reduction, the PERCENTAGE of the reduction should be identical for everyone. Higher tax districts would still see a higher dollar amount reduction than lower tax districts.

If a district wants to reduce its property taxes even more, then that should be up to the district to do that, but from the state, everyone should get the same percentage reduction, yes.

I guess I won't be happy until:
#1 total elimination of school taxes
-OR-
#2 every single homeowner in each county pays the same tax rate (millage)

Well "school taxes" are not going away ... only the source perhaps will change. 

Only question I have about #2 is  (if we keep different school districts as today), should the homeowners in certain districts be allowed to have an additional tax (whether it be a flat amount or income based) to help fund additional things they would like their district to have for education or would you perhaps think that then becomes the responsibility of a private schooling system ? 

Last edited by tennyson (4/22/2015 5:42 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/22/2015 6:04 pm  #12

TraderJay wrote:

The Man wrote:

TraderJay wrote:

Yeah, that's what I say about having different areas of the county paying different rates. I believe if you live in a higher tax area, you should get a bigger cut of the relief. Right now, this district pays this amount and that district pays that amount. Why should a lower tax area get the same relief as a high tax area ? 

If it is a state-wide property tax reduction, the PERCENTAGE of the reduction should be identical for everyone. Higher tax districts would still see a higher dollar amount reduction than lower tax districts.

If a district wants to reduce its property taxes even more, then that should be up to the district to do that, but from the state, everyone should get the same percentage reduction, yes.

-OR-

I'm with you on the total elimination, that's what I want, because frankly, any 'reduction' will almost assuredly be a Rendell-esque type of scam where no one sees any real relief.  Plus, with total elimination, everyone gets the same percentage reduction, 100%.  But, raising everyone's income and sales tax by the same percentage, and then giving some a higher percentage property tax relief than others, is completely unfair.

Last edited by The Man (4/22/2015 6:05 pm)

4/22/2015 6:07 pm  #13

tennyson wrote:

TraderJay wrote:

The Man wrote:

-OR-

Well "school taxes" are not going away ... only the source perhaps will change. 

Only question I have about #2 is  (if we keep different school districts as today), should the homeowners in certain districts be allowed to have an additional tax (whether it be a flat amount or income based) to help fund additional things they would like their district to have for education or would you perhaps think that then becomes the responsibility of a private schooling system ? 

Some districts and municipalities already have another tax above and beyond the property tax:  the per-capita tax.

Last edited by The Man (4/22/2015 6:08 pm)

Board footera