The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2018 5:52 am  #1

Election Recap

Governor:
Looks like the Republicans will win narrow victories in the two races that gained the most press coverage, Florida and Georgia.
But Democrats gained 7 state houses overall.

And, on this Wednesday morning we wake up to Kansas having a Democratic Governor, and Massachusetts with a Republican Governor. I like states that defy their stereotypes and actually look at candidates.

House of Representatives.

The Dems have captured a majority.
This means a few things.
1. No more big tax cuts for billionaire will be passed in the second half of Trump's term.
2. Obamacare may be saved.
3. The power to subpoena, and to investigate has changed hands. This President may suffer the Big Benghazi, if you get my drift.
4. No Wall funding. 

Putin's favorite Congressman, Dana Rohrabacher, (CA-48) has been shown the door after 30 years. Good riddance.

Racist Steven King (IA-4) wins re-election as do indicted reps Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and Chris Collins (NY-27).

Democrat Antonio Delgado (NY-19) unseats a republican Congressman. This is the district just across the NY-MA border from me .

Tea party Darling Dave Brat (VA-7) was defeated by a political newcomer.

A clear victim of Donald Trump was Barbara Comstock (VA-10) a moderate republican who got crushed under a wave of suburban female rage.

Look for two years of gridlock. I see Trump leading his 2020 rallies in chants of "Lock Them Up". (Meaning democratic congressman).
The House will become his election target.

Senate

A good night for Republicans, picking up at least two seats. They turned Indiana, ND and MO. The Dems turned NV.
FL may turn Republican as well. Dems failed in Texas and Arizona.

It was a tough map for Democrats. 
The 2020 Senate election map is the mirror image. Beware, republicans!

Polls

There has been a lot of angst about polling the past two years.
Hey, just bring up a poll to a Trumpkin and he'll bring up 2016, and start giggling maniacally.
But, this time the polls were pretty much dead on.

Last edited by Goose (11/07/2018 6:57 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/07/2018 7:48 am  #2

Re: Election Recap

Like all nationwide elections, it is a mixed bag.  I like the idea of restoring some checks and balances in a democratic nation.  The flipping of the House was a big deal and the most important to me.

On the state scene, a black man and a black woman came within a whisker of winning governorships in the South, and Beto O'Rouke gave Ted Cruz a real run for his money.  Signs of things to come?

Last edited by Just Fred (11/07/2018 8:00 am)

11/07/2018 1:03 pm  #3

According toTrump, during his press conference today, the people that asked him to “embrace” them won and the ones that didn’t lost. The Democrats taking over the House of Representatives will bring him legislation on healthcare, infrastructure, tax breaks for the middle class etc. and he will be happy to pass it on to the Senat, but, unfortunately, the Dems in the Senate (because he needs 10 democratic votes) will probably not pass those programs. He interrupted questions from reporters. He told reporters to shut up and sit down. He demeaned several reporters and the networks they represent. He told foreign reporters that he couldn’t understand them and they should speak more clearly. He said that the Russian investigation was a sham.

In other words, it’s still all about him. Anybody or any organization that questions him is wrong. He has made the United States great again. Nobody in history has done more for the country or the world than Donald J. Trump.

I’m concerned that the next two years are going to provide nothing more than the vitriolic rhetoric, grandstanding, lack of truth, blaming others, outright lying, and gridlock . . . All thanks to Donald J. Trump.

11/07/2018 2:36 pm  #4

I watched that 'press conference', too.  What a mess.  I thought he was headed for a meltdown.  He may find out real soon that running a democracy is a helluva different from being an authoritarian head of a business.  Public service is all too new for this guy.

11/08/2018 6:06 am  #5

Look at the state legislatures.
Huge loss for republicans.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/08/2018 11:54 pm  #6

Locally, the best part of the election was the outstanding voter turnout of 65%....highest mid term turnout in two dozen years.

What a beautiful "thank you" and Veteran's Day present in advance to the men and women who sacrificed so much to obtain and secure this privilege for us and who continue to do so for peoples around the globe!

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera