The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2018 5:46 am  #1

They Are Crazy

Yesterday I noted that Trump forced AG Sessions to resign. 
I read about it on the Fox Website.

Then I moved on to the comments. About 99% of them were gleefully trashing Jeff Sessions.
But, a couple really stood out:

"Draining the swamp!"
"Worst AG ever. Good riddance! Another MAGA victory"

Excuse me? 
Did not Donald Trump merely fire the guy that Donald Trump hired?
I mean, it might be the thing to do, but how could anyone in their right mind call it a victory?

In their right mind,,,,,,,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/08/2018 7:09 am  #2

Re: They Are Crazy

Donald Trump has created a cult.  No longer a political party.  It matters not what he says or does anymore to them.  They will swallow it.  At some point the Republicans will want their party back.

11/08/2018 7:59 am  #3

In the book How Democracies Die the authors provide documentation on how authoritarian despots take over a democracy without utilizing military force by replacing people in charge of other branches of government or departments that act as checks and balances to their power. The authoritarian does this in order to put people close to their personal aura and control to do their bidding in those jobs. Authoritarians want complete control through intimidation and cowering to their demands. Authoritarians will continue to change people until they feel they have achieved this complete control with no exceptions. Trump is a textbook narcissistic, ego driven, authoritarian.

11/08/2018 8:30 am  #4

I read the same book, rongone, and periodically refer to it.  In the few cases when authoritarians were stopped and democracy restored was when members of the authoritarian's own party pumped the brakes, not the opposing party.

The question I have is whether or not Republican tribal members who actually value democracy will stop him.  Right now I don't sense much of that happening.

Board footera