The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2018 8:18 am  #1

Trump Admits he Lied to the PM of Canada

Trump says he made up trade claims in meeting with Trudeau

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump boasted at a private fundraiser Wednesday of making up trade claims during a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau before knowing whether they were true.

"Trudeau came to see me. He's a good guy, Justin. He said, 'No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,'" Trump said during a speech to donors in Missouri, according to audio obtained by The Washington Post and confirmed to CNN by an attendee. "Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — 'Donald, we have no trade deficit.' He's very proud because everybody else, you know, we're getting killed."

He continued: "I said, 'Wrong, Justin, you do.' I didn't even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, 'You're wrong,'" Trump recalled. "You know why? Because we're so stupid. ... And I thought they were smart. I said, 'You're wrong, Justin.' He said, 'Nope, we have no trade deficit.' I said, 'Well, in that case, I feel differently,' I said, 'but I don't believe it.'"

Trump said he asked an aide to check if he was correct in telling Trudeau the US runs a trade deficit with Canada.

I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, 'Check, because I can't believe it,'" Trump said.  "'Well, sir, you're actually right. We have no deficit, but that doesn't include energy and timber. ... And when you do, we lose $17 billion a year.' It's incredible."

According to figures provided by the Commerce Department, the US ran a $2.77 billion surplus with Canada for 2017. That figure includes oil and timber. It's unclear what Trump was referring to with the $17 billion figure.

Last edited by Goose (3/15/2018 8:19 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/15/2018 10:20 am  #2

Re: Trump Admits he Lied to the PM of Canada

An admitted liar. Of course many of us ALREADY KNEW THAT, but it was nice of him to admit it for the record. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera