The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2018 1:00 pm  #1

Sen. Jeff Flake: Trump using techniques ‘popularized by Stalin’

Sen. Jeff Flake: Trump using techniques ‘popularized by Joseph Stalin’ to demonize press

President Trump is employing techniques “popularized by Joseph Stalin” to demonize the press and his approach could do great harm to the nation in the long run, Sen. Jeff Flake said Sunday.

In an appearance on ABC’s “This Week,” the retiring Arizona Republican and outspoken critic of the president said he’s deeply troubled by how Mr. Trump attacks the media.

“You can talk about crowd size, and this is pretty innocuous if there’s a falsehood. But when you reflexively refer to the press as the ‘enemy of the people’ or ‘fake news,’ that has real damage,” Mr. Flake said. “It has real damage to our standing in the world. And I noted how bad it is for a president to take what was popularized by Joseph Stalin, the ‘enemy of the people,’ to refer to the press.”

Mr. Flake announced his retirement last year amid continued clashes with the president. Before Mr. Flake’s announcement, the president endorsed his would-be challenger in the GOP Senate primary in Arizona, Kelli Ward.

Since then, Mr. Flake has continued to be one of the loudest Republican critics of the president. Specifically, he takes great issue with how Mr. Trump demeans the media.

“I’m going to talk about how damaging that is,” the senator said. “I just want the president to know that this has real consequences.”

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/14/2018 5:01 pm  #2

Re: Sen. Jeff Flake: Trump using techniques ‘popularized by Stalin’

No shit, Jeff.  You're a real rocket scientist.  Maybe you have joined the Exchange about a year ago.

1/15/2018 6:10 am  #3

Re: Sen. Jeff Flake: Trump using techniques ‘popularized by Stalin’

Just Fred wrote:

No shit, Jeff.  You're a real rocket scientist.  Maybe you have joined the Exchange about a year ago.

The prescience of we exchangers is indeed under appreciated!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera