The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2018 12:36 pm  #1

Whoa Nelly!

Rest in Peace, Keith

Legendary broadcaster Keith Jackson dies at age 89

Keith Jackson, who was widely regarded as the voice of college football by several generations, died late Friday night, his family said. He was 89.

Jackson, who retired in 2006, spent some 50 years calling the action in a folksy, down-to-earth manner that made him one of the most popular play-by-play personalities in the business.

"For generations of fans, Keith Jackson was college football," said Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. "When you heard his voice, you knew it was a big game. Keith was a true gentleman and a memorable presence. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Turi Ann, and his family."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22076254/legendary-broadcaster-keith-jackson-dies-age-89

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/13/2018 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Whoa Nelly!

I remember him well. 

Rest in Peace , Keith. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/13/2018 12:56 pm  #3

Keith Jackson was the reason many people tuned into college football.  A great announcer who made the sport come alive in living rooms across America.

1/25/2018 8:49 am  #4

If you have a some time, check out this set of short remembrances of Keith complete with some YouTube clips of games and moments he called.

Jackson had a way with words. Looking at the videos, there are too may little catchphrases and quips to name, but in the pregame of the 1996 Florida-Florida State game, he introduces his color commentator Bob Griese, by saying "He has 99 pounds of paper notes, and a telestrator a-hummin."

That made me laugh and things like that made Jackson a once in a lifetime announcer.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/26/2018 1:57 pm  #5

TheLagerLad wrote:

If you have a some time, check out this set of short remembrances of Keith complete with some YouTube clips of games and moments he called.

Jackson had a way with words. Looking at the videos, there are too may little catchphrases and quips to name, but in the pregame of the 1996 Florida-Florida State game, he introduces his color commentator Bob Griese, by saying "He has 99 pounds of paper notes, and a telestrator a-hummin."

That made me laugh and things like that made Jackson a once in a lifetime announcer.

Keith was a fixture in College football all through my youth and young adulthood. Not only his catchphrases but his distinctive voice and cadence made every fall Saturday something to treasure.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera