The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2017 3:10 pm  #1

Mike Huckabee Slanders the Memory of Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill, in his youth served his country with distinction in war with the British Army.
As Prime Minister, he opposed Nazism with every fiber of his being.

Donald trump, in his youth avoided serving his country in war with a tender foot.
As President he defended Nazis as being "Fine people".

So, yea, Mike, they are basically the same.

British MPs tear into ex US governor Mike Huckabee for his ‘absurd’ tweet comparing Donald Trump to the great wartime leader Sir Winston Churchill

British MPs have torn into a former US governor for comparing Donald Trump to Sir Winston Churchill - branding the comments 'absurd'.

Mike Huckabee sent a tweet saying the great wartime leader was 'hated by his own party, opposition party and press' just like the US leader.

And he compared Barack Obama to Neville Chamberlain who pursued a policy of appeasement with the Nazis.

The politician turned Fox News pundit wrote: 'Churchill was hated by his own party, opposition party, and press. Feared by King as reckless, and despised for his bluntness. 

'But unlike Neville Chamberlain, he didn't retreat. We had a Chamberlain for 8 yrs; in @realDonaldTrump we have a Churchill.'

But Mr Huckabee's comments has sparked an angry backlash from British MPs who said that while Sir Winston helped save the world from Adolf Hitler's fascism, Mr Trump has endorsed racists.

Defence minister Tobias Ellwood invited the Republican former governor of Arkansas to meet with Sir Nicholas Soames - a Tory MP and the wartime leader's grandson.

He wrote on Twitter: 'Ummm...Governor Huckabee ...could I invite you to Westminster and meet my very good friend @NSoames who knows a thing or two about this. 

'I know he will take you under his wing - and you will emerge much the wiser. @GovMikeHuckabee.'

Huckabee, who himself ran for president in the Republican primary won by Trump is directly connected to the White House as his daughter, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, is the president's press secretary.

The controversy comes after Mr Trump caused an outcry in the UK after he retweeted anti-Muslim propaganda put out by the far right group Britain First. 

When Theresa May condemned his retweet of the extremist video he told the PM not to criticise him and to focus on her own country's problems with radical Islam.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5215679/MPs-hit-Huckabee-comparing-Trump-Churchill.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Last edited by Goose (12/27/2017 3:10 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/27/2017 4:02 pm  #2

Re: Mike Huckabee Slanders the Memory of Winston Churchill

I don't know if the word "absurd" even applies to this.  I would have chosen something like "delusional" or "uninformed" or "clueless". 

12/27/2017 4:08 pm  #3

Re: Mike Huckabee Slanders the Memory of Winston Churchill

Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be “clarifying” her dad’s remarks in the very near future.

Board footera