The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2017 10:19 pm  #21

Re: Most Republicans say colleges have negative impact on US

Brady Bunch wrote:

tennyson wrote:

I would be curious what you took notice of on those campuses that you said were in line with current liberal or progressive values. 

It might have been the big banner that said "progressives only, conservatives not welcome!"  

In all seriousness, it wasn't anything from the university staff themselves, it was more of what the students mentioned on the tours about life on campus and different groups, activities and speakers they had on campus.  To be honest, I don't remember what exactly was said, because it isn't something that makes a difference to us in selecting a college, but I do remember thinking to myself at each college at least once or twice that what they said fits into the narrative of most college campuses being liberal.  As I mentioned, it was nothing egregious and isn't playing into her college decision, but it was something that I did notice.

Thanks anyway. 

I am wonder if it was not more of what I hit when I went back to visit colleges with my own children. For me it was more of a cultural shock. I am not sure I would have called it liberal, but definitely different for sure. I think each generation hits that to some degree with the next generation. 

Anyway, good luck with your daughter and her pick of college. 

Last edited by tennyson (10/14/2017 10:38 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/15/2017 7:35 am  #22

Tarnation wrote:

Being a YCP 1981 Alumnus I am partial to my alma mater. 

Even back in that day their Nursing program was academically rigorous and well respected.   It has only grown stronger, especially with the state of the art ICU mock up at the west campus.

There are a lot of unemployed/underemployed elementary ed majors but very few unemployed RNs.

I graduated from YCP in 1997.

We toured the Nursing Program and the new lab they have on West Campus.  It compared very favorably with the one on PSU-University Park.

Believe me, we have had the discussion with her about employment post graduation and the comparison between RN's and elementary education graduates

10/15/2017 7:40 am  #23

tennyson wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

tennyson wrote:

I would be curious what you took notice of on those campuses that you said were in line with current liberal or progressive values. 

It might have been the big banner that said "progressives only, conservatives not welcome!"  

In all seriousness, it wasn't anything from the university staff themselves, it was more of what the students mentioned on the tours about life on campus and different groups, activities and speakers they had on campus.  To be honest, I don't remember what exactly was said, because it isn't something that makes a difference to us in selecting a college, but I do remember thinking to myself at each college at least once or twice that what they said fits into the narrative of most college campuses being liberal.  As I mentioned, it was nothing egregious and isn't playing into her college decision, but it was something that I did notice.

Thanks anyway. 

I am wonder if it was not more of what I hit when I went back to visit colleges with my own children. For me it was more of a cultural shock. I am not sure I would have called it liberal, but definitely different for sure. I think each generation hits that to some degree with the next generation. 

The college visits went about as I expected and it wasn't a culture shock at all.  What I noticed was subtle, but it was there.  I'm sure if we would have visited some private, Christian colleges I would have noticed it had a conservative culture

10/15/2017 8:06 am  #24

Brady Bunch wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

Thanks anyway. 

The college visits went about as I expected and it wasn't a culture shock at all.  What I noticed was subtle, but it was there.  I'm sure if we would have visited some private, Christian colleges I would have noticed it had a conservative culture

Try Grove City College in western PA if you are searching for a private Christian college that is reasonably priced and provides a decent curriculum.

Board footera