The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2017 10:08 am  #1

Retiring GOP lawmaker: Republicans now 'own' ObamaCare

I tend to agree with Dent. With the new EO that Trump signed and the threat to pull state subsidy payments, Trump has now for all practical purposes pushed the GOP into the ownership of health care. Likely it will be dubbed Trumpcare fittingly as likely the new albatross around its neck instead of the Democrats. 

Personally it looks like the proposed plan will offer less (perhaps but not proven at a lower cost). But will the end user actually save in the long run and will some premiums skyrocket ? Well those are the million dollar questions. Certainly IF subsidies are slashed people will either go without or have to pay a lot more. Again not good. 

In a related Hill post 

Trump hands Republicans a new ObamaCare problem

This is going to give a lot of specific State Senators and Goverors unneeded headaches. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. And, I am not even going to get into the calamity it HAS to be creating for our "friends" in the insurance industry. Yes, people might have a dim view of them and perhaps rightly so but can you imagine huge businesses such as these getting thrown these curveballs especially at the last second ? They have to be hating it. 

And Congress needs this thrust upon them right now like they need the plague. 

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/355408-trump-hands-republicans-a-new-obamacare-problem

Last edited by tennyson (10/14/2017 10:11 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/14/2017 10:19 am  #2

Re: Retiring GOP lawmaker: Republicans now 'own' ObamaCare

I agree.
Trump is attempting to make sure that the ACA does not work, so that he can say, "hey, this does not work".
That is dishonest and will not pass the smell test.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/14/2017 11:08 am  #3

Re: Retiring GOP lawmaker: Republicans now 'own' ObamaCare

Goose wrote:

I agree.
Trump is attempting to make sure that the ACA does not work, so that he can say, "hey, this does not work".
That is dishonest and will not pass the smell test.

I agree that Trump is attempting to dismantle the ACA. 

I look at it that it may wind up being the best thing to LET the GOP own it and wind up likely finding out that the alternate solutions are not better (and likely worse) than what was there (the ACA). It is too bad that IF this rolls out many will be caught in the crosshairs of this whole mess. But like I said, IF the GOP finds out that their plan is not working and causing political abandonment, perhaps we finally can get a meeting of the political minds. I know I am being perhaps overly optimistic on my thinking, but at this point it is the only way I can feel. 

Last edited by tennyson (10/14/2017 11:09 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera