The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2017 3:13 pm  #1

Trump says he spoke to Virgin Islands' 'president' -- which is him

Trump says he spoke to Virgin Islands' 'president' -- which is him

Washington (CNN)

President Donald Trump accidentally referred to the Virgin Islands' governor as their President during a speech Friday -- even though he is technically their President.

"I will tell you I left Texas and I left Florida and I left Louisiana and I went to Puerto Rico and I met with the President of the Virgin Islands," he told the audience of the Values Voter Summit in Washington.

"We are one nation and we all hurt together, we hope together and we heal together," he said, later adding, "The Virgin Islands and the President of the Virgin Islands, these are people that are incredible people, they suffered gravely and we're be there, we're going to be there, we have really, it is not even a question of a choice."

Trump appeared to be referring to Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp, instead of the "President" who is Trump himself. The Virgin Islands is a US territory.

Last edited by Goose (10/13/2017 3:14 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Trump says he spoke to Virgin Islands' 'president' -- which is him

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.  The sad part of this is that I'm guessing many Value Voters didn't know he fumbled and actually believe there is a president of the Virgin Islands.

"Beam me up, Scotty".

10/13/2017 6:35 pm  #3

Just Fred wrote:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.  The sad part of this is that I'm guessing many Value Voters didn't know he fumbled and actually believe there is a president of the Virgin Islands.

"Beam me up, Scotty".

Yes, this group's lack of knowledge is only matched by their contempt for knowledge.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 7:07 pm  #4

Everyone misspeaks, but with Trump who knows if it a simple mistake or he actually believes he spoke to the President of the Virgin Islands.  Both scenarios are completely believable

10/14/2017 7:56 am  #5

Brady Bunch wrote:

Everyone misspeaks, but with Trump who knows if it a simple mistake or he actually believes he spoke to the President of the Virgin Islands.  Both scenarios are completely believable

I am not sure either. And if Trump were a different man, say someone like John McCain, I would try to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But, Trump is not that man. He has been crudely and cruelly critical of everybody that he sees as in his way. And not just critical of opinions or intellect either. He has mocked Corker for his height, Fiorina for how her face looks.
So, Trump better get up to speed and get damn near perfect, because nobody is going to be inclined to cut him an inch of slack.

Board footera