The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2017 9:39 am  #1

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit record highs as Wall Street bets

Stock investors are enjoying a great run up in the stock market. Retirement portfolios are growing nicely.

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit record highs as Wall Street bets on a strong earnings season

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/us-stocks-earnings-season-wall-street.html

U.S. stocks reached record highs on Friday as investors bet on another strong earnings season.The S&P 500 rose 0.15 percent and hit an all-time intraday high, with information technology leading advancers. The Nasdaq composite also hit a record, advancing 0.3 percent. The Dow Jones industrial average traded 48 points higher, with American Express contributing the most to the gains.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/13/2017 9:42 am  #2

Re: Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit record highs as Wall Street bets

What percentage of people own stocks?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 11:27 am  #3

I am happy that the upward trend continues (we have come a long way since the meltdown of 2008) as my 401K is directly tied to the markets (although I have the ultimate control of how to invest) and as a result to my retirement nest egg.  

To this point Trump's policies have had almost zero effect on what is happening. To be sure businesses are counting on a huge tax cut and the emotion of that MAY already be built into the current pricing, but the actual effect of the cut may not be what is expected. Major cuts to taxes for companies COULD mean hiring, but just as likely could mean stock buy backs and more automation which would have exactly the opposite effect on jobs and wages. 

Similarly till we see the impact of trade re-negotiations on the economy it is hard to predict the outcome of that one. Again could go either way. 

Even the current wanting to revoke the Iran deal could scuttle the Boeing contract with Iran which purportedly could have lead to 100K more good paying jobs.

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/13/2017 3:10 pm  #4

Common, you need to realize their are 2 economies that need to be addressed here.  Yes, for people like you and me sitting on 7 or 8 hundred thousand invested in the stock market, it's great, but you need to also consider those who can't afford to set aside a thousand or more each month to invest in the market.

Board footera