The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2017 3:16 pm  #1

I Need Some suggestions

I'm going to cook these Thai style ribs, and hit them with both crushed red pepper and cayenne.
Gonna do a spicy dipping sauce as well.
The thing is, pairing this with a wine is just not going to do it.
What sort of beer should I pair with Big, Spicy flavors like this?

Thai-Style Spare Ribs

These ribs are often served in Thailand to accompany ice-cold beer, said Andy Ricker, the chef and owner of the Pok Pok restaurants in New York and Portland, Ore. He warns against overcooking them: Thai diners prefer ribs on the chewy side rather than falling-off-the-bone tender. They may be cooked over indirect heat in a covered charcoal grill, but it is far easier to bake them in a slow oven, then reheat (on the grill, if you wish) at the last minute. The ribs are quite flavorful on their own, but serve them with a spicy dipping sauce if you prefer.

INGREDIENTS

2 racks of baby back ribs, 3 to 4 pounds, halved lengthwise to make 3-inch ribs (ask your butcher to do this)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon tamarind paste or hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated ginger
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
 Pinch of grated nutmeg
 Pinch of cayenne
2 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine, mirin or sherry
3 tablespoons chopped garlic chives or scallions, for garnish
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems, for garnish

PREPARATION

Lay the ribs flat in a roasting pan. (You will have 4 long pieces.) Season lightly with salt on both sides.
Make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, tamarind paste, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne. Add the wine and 1/4 cup hot water and whisk well.

Pour marinade over ribs to completely coat. Marinate at room temperature for 2 hours, turning once or twice, or cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 250 degrees. Transfer the roasting pan, uncovered, to the rack.

Roast ribs for 1 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices and turning ribs over every 20 minutes or so. If pan juices seem to be drying out or burning, add a little water to the pan. (Alternatively, cook ribs over indirect heat in a covered charcoal grill, turning ribs every 20 minutes or so.)

Pour juices from the roasting pan into a small saucepan. Spoon off fat from surface of sauce, then simmer sauce for a few minutes until slightly thickened, then use the juices to paint the ribs. 

Turn up oven heat to 400 degrees. Return ribs to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until nicely glazed. (Alternatively, return ribs to the grill to glaze.)

Use a sharp knife to divide ribs, cutting between the bones. Pile ribs onto a platter, sprinkle with garlic chives and cilantro, and serve.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018889-thai-style-spare-ribs?em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20170825&nl=cooking&nlid=69152679

Last edited by Goose (8/25/2017 3:17 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/25/2017 5:59 pm  #2

Re: I Need Some suggestions

I'd go with something light like Red Stripe, or maybe a Japanese beer ...... you have several choices for that.

8/25/2017 9:04 pm  #3

Having tried the "Beers of Mexico" sampler by Dos Equis, I'd highly recommend their Sol or Tecate.  Sol is very light, Tecate has a little more body but no bite.

Life is an Orthros.

8/28/2017 4:21 pm  #4

Thanks Guys.
I made this recipe over the weekend, And it is quite good.
Paired it with some Yuengling Traditional Lager,  because I had some around, and it went down very well!

Last edited by Goose (8/28/2017 4:21 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/29/2017 8:29 pm  #5

With the ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg as part of the recipe, I'd almost think that a pumpkin ale would pair nicely with these ribs.

Either that or a Marzen/Oktoberfest style German beer.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera