The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2015 12:47 pm  #1

The New Exchange FAQs

Welcome to the New Exchange. Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions which hopefully will be helpful in your time here.....

Q: What is the New Exchange?

A: The New Exchange is a general interest message board. It's the internet equivilent of your local coffee shop where people can swing by, speak their mind, check in with friends and acquaitances, and/or kill some time.

Q: Can you give me a brief history of the New Exchange?

A: Sure. The New Exchange was created when the management of http://exchange.ydr.com (The Exchange) decided to shutter the site. The "orginal" Exchange was a message board that was part of the digital platform on the York Daily Record (YDR), one of two daily newspapers in York County, Pennsylvania. The Exchange was set up by the YDR in 2005 and remained active until February 2015. A core group of 15 or so "Exchangers" who frequented the board decided that we should keep the board going, so a new board was created on the boardhost.com platform. 

Q: Who runs this place, exactly?

A: The guiding principle we try and manage is a message board by the people and for the people. So in that sense, everyone who contributes to the New Exchange, runs the New Exchange. But from a management perspective, the The New Exchange's Admins are El Presidente, (aka The Lager Lad) and Tarnation. The Moderators are Conspiracy Theory and The Lager Lad.

Q: What do the Admin and Moderators do?

A: They act as customer service reps for the New Exchange posters. The help with questions, complaints, and in general keep the board organized.

Q: Can I be a moderator?

A: We're good at the moment, but keep your eyes on the General Admin section for new requests for mods in the future

Q: What are the general rules on posting at the New Exchange

A: We're all about free speech at the New Exchange. No topics are off limit, per se, but we would like to keep a certain level of decorum and respectability here. In short, just be cool. Treat and speak/write to each other like you would like to be spoken/written and everything will be A-ok

Q: I have a question about formatting/linking content/adding pictures, etc. How do I do all that?

A: Boardhost, the service behind the board has it's own FAQs. You might be able to find your answer there. If not, ask a mod.

Q: I'm really into 16th century haberdashery but I cannot find a category in which to post. What should I do?

A: Make all suggestions for the forums here 

Q: Thanks for the answers. Final question: Is there anyone here who gets paid to post?

A: 

Last edited by El Presidente (1/07/2017 12:00 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/04/2015 7:37 am  #2

Re: The New Exchange FAQs

Lager, when I'm viewing new posts, they are coming up newest to oldest.  Is there a way I can get this to show up oldest to newest?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/04/2015 8:53 am  #3

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Lager, when I'm viewing new posts, they are coming up newest to oldest.  Is there a way I can get this to show up oldest to newest?

The only thing you can adjust through "Viewing Options" (submenu under "My Profile") is the number of posts per page.

Just jump to the last page of "new posts" and scroll to the bottom or hit the "end" key and read bottom-up.

Life is an Orthros.

2/04/2015 1:57 pm  #4

Can't figure out how to "Like" a post.

2/04/2015 2:01 pm  #5

flowergirl wrote:

Can't figure out how to "Like" a post.

I do not think that is possible at this time. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/04/2015 3:18 pm  #6

Wait a minute...I'm a ROOKIE Exchanger??

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

2/04/2015 3:25 pm  #7

Now that you have hit 20 posts, you should be a Regular Exchanger.

2/04/2015 4:28 pm  #8

Thanks.  Rookie?  Wow...tough crowd. 

-Me again

2/04/2015 7:27 pm  #9

Lager:  I usually write my journal stuff offline then paste it into a thread.

When I do the paste, the formatting looks the same as the original but when I post it all of the line spacing and paragraphs go away.  Everything is bunched up into one big paragraph.

Is there a way to preserve the formatting?  I'm using Open Office Writer and saving as a Word 97 document.

Should I be using a different format?

-Me again

2/04/2015 7:33 pm  #10

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Lager:  I usually write my journal stuff offline then paste it into a thread.

When I do the paste, the formatting looks the same as the original but when I post it all of the line spacing and paragraphs go away.  Everything is bunched up into one big paragraph.

Is there a way to preserve the formatting?  I'm using Open Office Writer and saving as a Word 97 document.

Should I be using a different format?

Hmmmm. I just recreated your problem.

And I can't come up with an quick solution. 

Let me mess around and see if I can figure something out.

Board footera