The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2017 11:44 am  #1

Detroit Lions' QB's wife on the National Anthem

The wife of Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has waded into the contentious debate over NFL players respecting the national anthem — and let’s just say Stafford will probably be standing all season.

In a patriotic Instagram post Wednesday, Kelly Stafford wrote:"If you think the country can be better, stand for the ideal. If you think the answer is people showing unity, stand with them. The anthem is not the national police song. The anthem is not the national racists song. The anthem is an exercise in how this country can endure and rise, how we can agree on its future potential, even while struggling with its present.

The anthem’s words depict a flag that is suffering through bombs and rockets. You could easily view those bombs and rockets as the challenges our democracy faces today, and the flag a symbol of rising above them.” -Mitch albom

I’ve been hesitant to talk about this, as I know I will get backlash from it.. but I believe we can stand and show our unity against everything that doesn’t represent what this flag stands for.

Let’s stand united against terrorists, against racism, against white supremacists, against killing of cops, against police brutality, against sex slave trafficking.. against anything that is not the ideal for this country.

Let’s unite in the fact that God made us all unique and different and that is something we should cherish. You can disagree with me and that is totally ok.. let’s use this forum to discuss (not yell at each other) and listen to one another.

She also included a photo of the American flag.

(Excerpt) Read more at ijr.com ...

+ + +
Finest piece I have read on this to date.

+ + +
Finest piece I have read on this to date.

Life is an Orthros.

8/24/2017 12:42 pm  #2

Re: Detroit Lions' QB's wife on the National Anthem

While I suspect that many don't relish Americans not standing for the National Anthem, that certainly is their right in this country at least. Not everyone thinks the same way fortunately. 

That said, I was wondering just why THIS person's opinion is any more important than anyone's else. Is it because she is the wife of someone who is a player ?? Or is it political ?? 

I knew nothing of the source till I pressed the link and then also went to their home page which lists the publication in its own words as 

The Declaration is IJR's home for right-leaning viral content.
http://ijr.com/the-declaration

I guess I answered my own question from above. 

Last edited by tennyson (8/24/2017 12:44 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/24/2017 3:17 pm  #3

It is a well written, and thought provoking piece.
I have also read some powerful words written by those who have (I think) legitimate grievance.
Let's all consider these views, and meet thoughtfulness with thoughtfulness.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/24/2017 7:08 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

It is a well written, and thought provoking piece.
I have also read some powerful words written by those who have (I think) legitimate grievance.
Let's all consider these views, and meet thoughtfulness with thoughtfulness.

I agree.

And I also believe what she believes is exactly what many agree with and that is fine. I only question WHY this was used particularly in the publication referenced. It appears like many things like this being used in a purely political sense. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

9/27/2017 7:58 am  #5

Let's put it out there, politics has been using sports for a long time.
I am all for honoring our troops.
But, why is unqualified support for our military and wars the ONLY form of political speech deemed acceptable at sporting events?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/27/2017 9:24 am  #6

Goose wrote:

Let's put it out there, politics has been using sports for a long time.
I am all for honoring our troops.
But, why is unqualified support for our military and wars the ONLY form of political speech deemed acceptable at sporting events?

The PBS series that Rongone asked us all to watch should be a reminder of how politics, patriotism, and love of country are NOT always what it seems. 

Some of what is happening now is like Yogi said "it's deja vu all over again"                

Last edited by tennyson (9/27/2017 9:26 am)

9/29/2017 4:32 am  #7

Polls show a large disparity along racial lines regarding opinions on these protests. I have to ask white people, what is an acceptable way for a black person to protest police brutality?

After Fergusson and Baltimore, I was told that marches were unacceptable, the potential for violence, and property destruction. OK, I see that.

Saying critical things about police? Nope. That makes you a "Cop Hater", and makes any attacks on policemen in the future your fault..

Disrupt some appearances by politicians, like BLM did? Nope. Rude, inappropriate, disgraceful. OK.

Now, a few black men peacefully, and quietly take a knee in protest during the anthem. They aren't hurting anyone, not breaking anything, not making any noise, not disrupting an event. You don't even have to look at them if you don't want to. Surely THIS must be an acceptable way to protest. Oh, wait,,,,,

Last edited by Goose (9/29/2017 2:45 pm)

Board footera