The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2017 10:31 am  #1

Civil War re-enactment in Manassas canceled amid worries over violence

Re-enactors were worried they might be targets of violence so the re-enactment was canceled. What is happening?

Civil War re-enactment in Manassas canceled amid worries over violence

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/news/civil-war-re-enactment-in-manassas-canceled-amid-worries-over/article_d0413572-d445-5e4e-8d8e-83be220c4e7b.html

An annual Civil War re-enactment in Virginia was canceled Friday after participants shared worries over their safety following the recent violence in Charlottesville.The two-day event in Manassas, scheduled to start Aug. 25, was meant to share how both Union and Confederate soldiers lived during the Civil War.

The event, which the city began hosting in 2011 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, has previously featured tent cities set up in the downtown area, an evening ball and lectures about how the war started and why. Patty Prince, a Manassas city spokeswoman, said some of the re-enactors called event organizers with worries that the racially charged atmosphere across the country over whether to tear down Civil War monuments would lead to violence."It's just not a good time to have it," Prince said about the event. "It's a very sad time in our country."

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

8/20/2017 10:42 am  #2

Re: Civil War re-enactment in Manassas canceled amid worries over violence

It's a very sad time in this country.
Yes.
Someone should try to heal the divisions.
I'm doing my part,speaking up against racism and intolerance in the strongest terms I can imagine.
But, I don't have many Twitter followers. So, maybe someone who commands lots of attention could jump in and help. You know, show respect for political rivals, people with other viewpoints,etc.
Build bridges.

Last edited by Goose (8/20/2017 11:14 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/20/2017 11:35 am  #3

I am sure a lot of people have different ideas about the statues that are in question and their meaning. I as I have said earlier don't have any problem with people wanting them moved from areas that have no historical relevence and putting them in places that do such as the battfields and cemetaries. 

Similary the reenactments IMHO represent a piece of actual history related to the sites where they occured. I am hoping people can see the difference between actual history and just a statue that by itself may not have that connection, but rather stands as a symbol of division when not in such an environment. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/20/2017 7:07 pm  #4

I think re-enactments of wars and battles are weird.  JMO.

8/21/2017 7:05 am  #5

Just Fred wrote:

Personally I find it a bit odd. But, hey, it's a free country, and it's not for me to judge what a man chooses for recreation, as long as he isn't hurting anyone.

I used to work with a guy who was big into reenactments. He was entirely harmless, I can assure you.
These fellows are meticulously concerned with the authenticity of their uniforms and kit, and the details of drill and camp life. They often chose to represent an actual soldier. 

These guys, in my limited experience are NOT addressing contemporary issues or glorifying rebellion. They are fascinated by history, at the ground level. Rather quaint, actually.
To each his own.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/21/2017 7:57 am  #6

Goose wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

Personally I find it a bit odd. But, hey, it's a free country, and it's not for me to judge what a man chooses for recreation, as long as he isn't hurting anyone.

I used to work with a guy who was big into reenactments. He was entirely harmless, I can assure you.
These fellows are meticulously concerned with the authenticity of their uniforms and kit, and the details of drill and camp life. They often chose to represent an actual soldier. 

These guys, in my limited experience are NOT addressing contemporary issues or glorifying rebellion. They are fascinated by history, at the ground level. Rather quaint, actually.
To each his own.

Not much different than movies that portray events in history other than these are not done for profit but rather by people for one reason or another are interested in portraying the historic event. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera