The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2017 7:11 am  #1

Well, Here's One Way to Reduce the White Nationalist Population

Dr. Esther Choo is an Asian-American emergency room physician who has practiced medicine for more than a decade. Yet, she says, a few times a year, a patient will refuse to let her treat them. Solely because of her race.

Choo, who works in Oregon, first shared her experience of dealing with racist patients who shun her care in a viral Twitter thread last Sunday.

"The conversation usually goes like this. Me: 'I understand your viewpoint. I trained at elite institutions & have been practicing for 15 years. You are welcome to refuse care under my hands, but I feel confident that I am the most qualified to care for you. Especially since the alternative is an intern.' And they invariably pick the intern, as long as they are white. Or they leave," she wrote in successive tweets.

"I used to cycle through disbelief, shame, anger. Now I just show compassion and move on," she added.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/asian-american-doctor-white-nationalists-race-cnntv/index.html

Last edited by Just Fred (8/20/2017 7:13 am)

8/20/2017 9:15 am  #2

Re: Well, Here's One Way to Reduce the White Nationalist Population

Kind of sums up the stupidity of racism nicely.
People allow their hate to cause them to act in ways that are contrary to their own interests, perhaps their own lives.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera