The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2017 11:35 am  #1

Splain This

President Trump has spent the morning on Twitter Opining about how terrible it is that cities and states are removing Confederate monuments.

My question: what business is it of his?

Conservatives have told me that I'm all wet in saying that the Civil War was about slavery. No, it was about states rights, they say. And these brave conservatives continue being about smaller government, limited government, and states rights.

Ok,  This begs the question. If the duly elected government of Baltimore, or Virginia that represents the people of those areas removes Confederate monuments in their territory, what business is it of the president of the United States? In fact, what business is it of a citizen of, say Alabama or Ohio?

Either you are for states rights or you're not. you can't have it both ways

Last edited by Goose (8/17/2017 11:38 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/17/2017 7:24 pm  #2

Re: Splain This

BTW, those concerned that removing confederate monuments will "erase history " will be thrilled to learn of the existence of books.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/17/2017 7:32 pm  #3

Goose wrote:

BTW, those concerned that removing confederate monuments will "erase history " will be thrilled to learn of the existence of books.

Yeah, I get a real kick out of the people claiming we are re-writing history. 

I think all the statues do have appropriate places like battlegrounds, military cemetaries, etc. But, like I said in another post, I have no problem them being removed from other places where their presence adds nothing to the actual space they occupy. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/17/2017 7:37 pm  #4

Exactly. In places like Gettysburg they were placed to honor those who fought.

In many other places monuments were placed to honor segregation and white supremacy.
One need only look at the time that some monuments were erected. And who put them up

8/18/2017 9:49 am  #5

Goose wrote:

Some of them have read Farenheit 451/

Life is an Orthros.

8/18/2017 10:08 am  #6

I just read that several streets in Alexandria VA were named after confederate generals.
Want to know when they did that?

Gee, I wonder what was going on in 1963 that prompted such an outpouring of reverence for civil war commanders,,,,,,,,,

BTW
Can you imagine, if getting to work or the grocery store meant driving every day on a street that honors someone who took up arms against the United States for the purpose of keeping your ancestors in slavery ?
Just a thought of how some of our fellow Americans might see this.

Last edited by Goose (8/18/2017 10:15 am)

8/18/2017 11:41 am  #7

Goose wrote:

I just read that several streets in Alexandria VA were named after confederate generals.

Gee, I wonder what was going on in 1963 that prompted such an outpouring of reverence for civil war commanders,,,,,,,,,

The Centennial of the battles of Gettysburg and Vicksburg?

Life is an Orthros.

8/18/2017 12:25 pm  #8

Tarnation wrote:

Goose wrote:

The Centennial of the battles of Gettysburg and Vicksburg?

I am going with the Birmingham Race RIots of 1963 or maybe the Civil Rights Act of 1963  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/18/2017 1:10 pm  #9

Tenny nails it!

Board footera