The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2017 7:03 am  #1

North Korea, Whattaya Gonna Do?

So, what are we going to do about North Korea?

Well, we could issue bombastic threats,,,,well, the President already has tried that. We will see how that works. I suspect that while strong talk is emotionally satisfying to some, that NK won't just hand over their nukes. It might, in fact actually goad an unstable regimeinto a reckless act.

Sanctions? Meh.  80% of NK trade is with China. So, getting China to go along with that is key. And I don't think that China is scared of us. China is going to want something in return for their help. And what they are going to expect is that the US acquiesce to the South China Sea becoming a Chinese lake.

We could preemptively obliterate NK with nukes, and become an international pariah, and the murderers of millions. Transforming ourselves into the rogue state that we supposedly abhor.

We could attack NK with conventional forces, and cause the deaths of American soldiers and tens of thousands of South Koreans. Of course China step in if it looked like the NK government was going to fall.

We could offer NK something they want in order to get them to give up their nukes. Of course, that presumes that there is something that NK wants more than its nukes. I don't know that there is anything they want more than their nukes.

We could accept the reality that NK is a nuclear state, and focus on working with regional allies on deterrence.
Deterrence kept the peace with the Soviet Union, and China.

Last edited by Goose (8/11/2017 7:07 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/11/2017 7:12 am  #2

Re: North Korea, Whattaya Gonna Do?

I am sure Trump's mind does not work through all the options. 

Hopefully his advisors DO and they give him some sound advice that he ACTUALLY listens to. 

Right now, we are at the childish "double-dog-dare" state of dialogue. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/11/2017 7:54 am  #3

Here's an idea:  Why not ask NK what they want, or is that too simplistic?  Instead of poking sticks into eachother's eyes, wouldn't it make more sense to sit down with Kim Jong Un, and ask him what he wants.

8/11/2017 12:45 pm  #4

Trump tweeted this morning:
"Military solutions are now in placed, locked and loaded",

I do love it when Private Heelspur uses military slang,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/11/2017 4:34 pm  #5

From my perspective, the most worrisome thing about Trump's inappropriate remarks about the situation in Korea is that it is apparent that his knowledge of the military, political, and social history of the Korean Peninsula seems to stem from watching late night reruns of M*A*S*H rather than rational, reasoned thought and advice of knowledgeable individuals.

I hope he doesn't make some stupid personal decision that results in some knee jerk reaction that results in the meaningless loss of hundreds of thousands of lives and the destabilization of that area of the world that spreads to a worldwide conflagration.

Hopefully someone or some group will have the cajones to stand up to him and reign in his self centered, egotistical, bullying tactics before we reach that point.

8/11/2017 4:38 pm  #6

Goose wrote:

Trump tweeted this morning:
"Military solutions are now in placed, locked and loaded",

I do love it when Private Heelspur uses military slang,,,,

Senior White House officials believe he was watching Full Metal Jacket last night after his round of golf at his Bedminster (summer White House) golf resort.

8/11/2017 5:00 pm  #7

8/11/2017 5:01 pm  #8

8/12/2017 1:41 pm  #9

Twin sons from different mothers:

https://imgur.com/lIuLT0z

Board footera