The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2017 11:31 am  #101

Re: Decency on this forum?

Goose wrote:

Is it just me, or is the term Fake News the most overused - and misused - term on the American scene this year?
Just Google the term and you will see hits from, well, everyone.

To me, words mean things. Fake News would be defined as a news story that is untrue, that it's author knew was untrue, and that he passed it on for some nefarious purpose.

But, now the term seems to be the go to answer in response to any piece of news that one happens to not like.
(Donald Trump even used the phrase in a story about his son meeting with the Russians when the source was his son's emails, which Jr.  had released himself!)

Why is this objectionable?
It has become a way to shut down discussion rather than engage in it.
It is a way of maintaining one's bubble.
Knowledge, understanding, and ultimately wisdom, are casualties of such thinking.

As far as I can tell, it's the go-to non-answer.

They rather remind me of small children stomping their feet and screaming "Is not! Is Not!"

Pathetic, really.

And let us not forget, these are the same people who think education is useless and scientists are stupid.

Consider the source.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

7/22/2017 8:02 am  #102

The Source

Last edited by Goose (7/22/2017 8:04 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/22/2017 12:07 pm  #103

Just out of curiosity, if you claim the news is fake, and it's on the news, isn't that a paradox?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

7/25/2017 12:59 pm  #104

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Just out of curiosity, if you claim the news is fake, and it's on the news, isn't that a paradox?

Quite a conundrum.
Luckily for them, most people who use the term Fake News indiscriminately don't know what a paradox is.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/26/2017 7:37 pm  #105

HA!  

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (7/26/2017 7:37 pm)

-Me again

7/28/2017 7:08 pm  #106

BTW, like the Napoleon avatar   

-Me again

7/29/2017 5:46 am  #107

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

A perfect blend of despot, narcissist, and nutjob. 

8/07/2017 11:25 am  #108

Goose wrote:

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

And a little, little man.

So fitting.

-Me again

8/07/2017 6:17 pm  #109

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Goose wrote:

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

And a little, little man.

So fitting.

Tiny hands, too
Believe me.
I mean, people are saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

8/17/2017 11:28 am  #110

Four months, no abuse reports!  Woo hoo!  

-Me again

Board footera