The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2017 7:13 pm  #1

More School

Teachers have said many things to me. I will explain my thoughts on every one that I remember for your entertainment.

"Smile More" : Smile more? Smiling is not natural for me. Do you expect me to walk around with a huge grin on my face? Probably. Will I do that? No. While I was in line one day, the teacher said, "Are you okay? You look sad." I tried to smile as everyone stared at me. They looked at me like I was nuts. That made me want to smile even less. Ugh.

"Come out of Your Shell" : You can stop telling me that, you know. Leave me alone and stop calling on me for 10 freaking seconds, then we'll see that change. But for now... your plan will fail.

"Do You Know the Answer?" :Yes, I do. But I don't want people to stare at me. I will share the answer only because you called on me, and I'd like to avoid further embarrassment. I really hate you now.

"Why Do You Look so Sad?" I look sad because you called on me today. People might remember it, so I am keeping away from social situations. Don't question me, question yourself for making me so lonely. (-_-)

"Speak Up!" : If you wouldn't constantly call on me, maybe I'd speak up. When you embarrass me and tell me to speak up within 20 seconds, I am very embarrassed. Please stop.

"She's a good role model, but..." But she needs to be more active in class discussions, share answers when she knows them, speak louder when called on, take part in group discussions, and, most importantly, show greater enthusiasm in participation. Good Lord, teacher, is that all?

"She's an amazing writer!" : Finally you compliment me. Thanks.

Now, the most annoying report card comment ever...

"This semester we will be emphasising participation in small group discussions." Oh really? Forcing me to talk in front of kids of whom I have not talked to EVER? Are you insane? You're driving me nuts. I am an amazing writer and an advanced reader, yet you are emphasising a skill that not nearly as important as reading or writing? That makes no sense to me. Emphasise what I'm doing good on, not what I need to do better, unless it counts towards a major grade. Geesh!

That's all for now. Hope you liked it.

Byebyes ~

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

7/01/2017 7:39 am  #2

Re: More School

Interesting comments.
I always thought that telling someone not to be shy was about as useful as telling someone not to be near-sighted. 
People, sigh.

I can say, as someone who teaches, that these blunders are often made with the best of intentions.
I mean, getting someone to speak up such that their voice is heard, and to participate in groups can be valuable traits for many jobs.
But, you simply cannot command someone to do this, like telling a dog to sit.
The teacher should create environments whereby students feel safe. Where they can fail without embarrassment, where they can gain confidence. When confidence is established increased participation starts to flow.

The teacher also needs to accept the fact that God made each of us different. Not every bird sings from dawn to dusk. A quiet person is always going to be a quiet person. You cannot turn an introvert into an extrovert.
But, you can help the introvert gain confidence and self esteem.

I would say one thing for the student. We all gravitate to that which comes naturally to us. That's fine. I do that. We all do that. However, you should spend some time challenging yourself with the things you aren't very good at. Thing X, I will call it. There is growth in that. Accept that you won't be great at X. You might never even be good at X. But, you will gain a greater understanding of X. And that's a good thing.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera