The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2017 12:05 pm  #1

Astounding poll numbers

I knew that it was unpopular, but, I can't recall ever seeing numbers like this.
I think that more people like spiders than like this bill.
(However, the GOP health bill is more popular than ebola. )

Looks like the GOP needs to go back to the drawing board, and also try to recruit some moderate democrats. There is no way that a bill that Ted Cruz and Rand Paul would sign will be popular with the public.

Poll: Only 12% of Americans support the Senate health care plan

Just 12% of Americans support the Senate Republican health care plan, a new USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll finds, amid a roiling debate over whether the GOP will deliver on its signature promise to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

In the survey, taken Saturday through Tuesday, a 53% majority say Congress should either leave the law known as Obamacare alone or work to fix its problems while keeping its framework intact.

But the dilemma for the GOP is this: Eight in 10 Republicans support repeal, and close to a third say the law should be repealed even if a replacement health care plan isn't ready yet. Just 11% of independents and 2% of Democrats feel that way.The divide between the demands of the GOP base and the skepticism of the broader electorate helps explain why Senate Republican leaders have been forced to delay a vote as they scramble for the 50 votes needed to pass a measure.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/28/suffolk-poll-obamacare-trump-senate-health-care-plan/103249346/

Last edited by Goose (6/28/2017 12:11 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/28/2017 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Astounding poll numbers

I think, however, that the dislike is for likely very dissimilar reasons (that is some want more and some want less) 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/28/2017 3:36 pm  #3

You have to wonder if this is the same polling group that told us over and over that Hillary would be the President. President Trump did not stand a chance. Obamacare is imploding right now. It will be repealed/ replaced with something new. They may keep parts of it but there will be a change soon. Trump and the republican party ran on repeal/replacing Obamacare. If they don't do it there will be hell to pay.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

6/28/2017 4:02 pm  #4

Common Sense wrote:

You have to wonder if this is the same polling group that told us over and over that Hillary would be the President. President Trump did not stand a chance. Obamacare is imploding right now. It will be repealed/ replaced with something new. They may keep parts of it but there will be a change soon. Trump and the republican party ran on repeal/replacing Obamacare. If they don't do it there will be hell to pay.

You think that the bill is more popular?
What do you base that opinion on besides the fact that polls have been wrong in the past?
Yes, something will have to be done to address the flaws of the ACA. However, it does not necessarily follow that it will be this bill.

Last edited by Goose (6/28/2017 4:13 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/29/2017 4:31 am  #5

A PBS/Maris poll has support for the bill at an equally dismal 17%, and a conservative friendly Fox News poll has 27% favoring the senate bill.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/28/fox-news-poll-27-percent-favor-senate-gop-health-care-plan-as-vote-gets-delayed.html

Now, we can quibble about whether it's 12% or 27%, or something in between, but I think that we can all agree that there isn't, well, overwhelming support for this bill.
If there was more public support McConnell could have used that to beat on holdouts. Instead he meekly postponed the vote. Yes?

It looks like people can hold two thoughts at once. The ACA is failing AND this particular bill is pretty bad.
Makes sense to me. Repeal Obamacare worked alone as a rallying cry when the goal was distant. Now that it appears possible, even imminent, the question then what? becomes important.
Whether they like the ACA or not, it seems that most Americans have decided that affordable healthcare is a fundamental good which they want the government to ensure in some ways.

Many people call for urgency by saying that  Obamacare is imploding. Well, it's only fair to say that this "implosion" is entirely intentional. The House, Senate, and White House are controlled by people who have vowed to repeal the bill. If I'm running an insurance company, the last thing I'm going to do under those circumstances is waste time and money developing products for markets that may no longer exist soon, or are about to become unprofitable as subsidies stop.  Insurance companies thrive on certainty.
This is readily reversible.

Politically, I just don't see how this senate bill can be tweaked such that it keeps Rand Paul AND Susan Collins. Ted cruz AND Dean Heller. And that's what they need to do, because they have a thin margin, and don't have a single democrat on board.

Myself, I think that the Rs should stop trying to make a bill that Rand Paul or the diehards want. It would be political suicide as it would hurt the very rural voters that Trump counts on.
(For example, 
Donald Trump won Kentucky by nearly 30 points. Nearly one in three Kentuckians uses Medicaid to get access to healthcare services.)

They should go shopping for moderate democrats, and prepare for the bill to change. A lot.

Last edited by Goose (6/29/2017 5:02 am)

Board footera