The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2017 7:30 am  #1

Has Fox Become "State Television"?

Let's face it, Fox's evening lineup of infotainment has been the propaganda arm of the Republican party for some time now. When you think of all of the past Candidates for the Republican Nomination who move on to host shows, things become pretty obvious.
And Sean Hannity has made no secret of his obsequience to Donald Trump. His show really has been reduced to nothing more than interviewing Trump Children, and Trump surrogates like Newt Gingrich.

Fox has always maintained that they were just an alternative to CNN. The flip side of the "mainstream media". I never bought that argument. The network is in fact profoundly different than CNN. But, Fox did have some good on air personalities such as Shephard Smith.

But, lately, the bias has completely overtaken the actual news part of Fox. Looking at the Fox website reveals an alternate universe that in no way resembles what one would see on the BBC, NBC, the AP.
Fox has even abandoned it's conservative principles in favor of defending anything this President does.
It's pure propaganda.

CNN anchor: 'Fox and Friends' is 'state TV'

CNN anchor John King blasted Fox News's morning show as "state TV" on Friday as he accused Fox's Ainsley Earhardt of throwing President Trump softball questions in a new interview. 

King made the comment after airing a clip of the interview from "Fox and Friends" where Trump explained his recent declaration that he had no tapes of his conversations with former FBI Director James Comey. Trump implied on Twitter weeks ago that he could have recorded Comey. 

As Trump answered, Earhardt added that she believed Trump's tactic was a "smart way to make sure [Comey] stayed honest in his hearings."

"Let's set aside the tough, probing questions on state TV there," King said Friday on CNN's "Inside Politics" to chuckles from the panel. 

"We haven't actually heard the president's entire story, have we?" he said.

The relationship between the media and the administration has continued to fray over the past week as the White House defends its trend of eschewing the practice of regular press briefings. 
ABC's Jonathan Karl also used the term "state TV" on Friday to describe Fox News when he retweeted a photo of Spicer speaking on the air with Fox despite holding off-camera briefings. 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/25/2017 10:57 am  #2

Re: Has Fox Become "State Television"?

Not quite a bad a Brietbart, but very slanted nevertheless. 

Their afternoon reporting (Shep Smith) is kind of down the middle but evening (of MOST cable news BOTH right or left) cable news is too polarizing for me. I watch and read enough of both to get the latest spin but that is about all. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/27/2017 1:28 pm  #3

I just checked the websites of some various news organizations.
These are the headlines at the very top of each web page as of this moment.

CNN
BREAKING: McConnell to delay the vote on health care bill until after July 4 recess

Washington Post
Senate leaders postpone vote to overhaul Obamacare as bill faces GOP rebellion

NYT
Health Bill Delayed Amid G.O.P. Disarray

ABC
Vote on Senate health care bill delayed amid lack of support

NPR
Senate GOP Leaders Push Off Health Care Vote After July 4th

AP
Facing defections, Senate GOP leaders delay health care vote

FOX NEWS
Obamas' lavish globetrotting vacations raise Democrats’ eyebrows

I did NOT make this up. Fox is it's own alternate reality.
Pravda was more credible....

Last edited by Goose (6/27/2017 1:55 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/28/2017 12:51 pm  #4

I think it was the guy from CNN, their media analyst, who recently said that we need to look at FNC as something closer to resembling QVC or the Home Shopping Network. Fox is selling advertising by selling the Trump administration. Trump die-hards need a place to go and the program directors at FNC know that they can get a steady stream of eyeballs by talking Trump all day every day. 

No serious person is turning on Fox expecting to get actual news. So let Fox viewers soak in their ignorance.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

6/28/2017 2:22 pm  #5

TheLagerLad wrote:

I think it was the guy from CNN, their media analyst, who recently said that we need to look at FNC as something closer to resembling QVC or the Home Shopping Network. Fox is selling advertising by selling the Trump administration. Trump die-hards need a place to go and the program directors at FNC know that they can get a steady stream of eyeballs by talking Trump all day every day. 

No serious person is turning on Fox expecting to get actual news. So let Fox viewers soak in their ignorance.

I'm glad that people are starting to see it. Fox is not a news outlet with a rightward tilt, somehow analogous to CNN being a news organization with a leftward tilt. 

Perhaps they once were. But something has changed.
There is no equivalence.  Fox is qualitatively different from news outlets, to the point where, since the Trump election, they have ceased being a news organization at all.
The comparison to QVC is more spot on than that analyst will get credit for.
Fox has become an alternate reality for Trumpers.
Maintaining that refuge - not reporting news - is the business model.

Last edited by Goose (6/28/2017 2:44 pm)

6/28/2017 2:49 pm  #6

If you think Fox is bad, just visit an online site like Breitbart. Fox is tame in comparison. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/28/2017 2:54 pm  #7

tennyson wrote:

If you think Fox is bad, just visit an online site like Breitbart. Fox is tame in comparison. 

Oh, I am acquainted with Breitbart.
Fox is definitely less bad than Breitbart.
But, it's only a question of degree.

Board footera