The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2017 2:04 pm  #91

Re: Decency on this forum?

Goose,  my question exactly.

Was an abusive thread deleted?

Life is an Orthros.

5/23/2017 7:08 am  #92

Yes there was a thread.  It included a member name in the thread name.  Not the real member name, the board name.

I'm not 100% certain it was just to be abusive but it gave that impression I took it down.

A good rule of thumb:  Please don't include a member's name when creating a thread...unless it's your own, then knock yourself out.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/23/2017 7:52 am  #93

Thanks for the info

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/23/2017 8:13 am  #94

It's probably a good idea to avoid starting threads that are about a member in any case.

I mean, with this white House, and this world in the state that they are in,,,,,, we've got no shortage of things to chat about.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/19/2017 7:00 am  #95

Wow!

We have a new member who is actually a member and not an "essay" spammer!

We're going places now. 

Welcome Wobblie. 

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

6/19/2017 7:06 am  #96

An addendum:

We do not have a list of rules here.  I try to stay out of the flow of discussion as much as possible.

Here are some of the no-no's.

1.  Everyone gets upset at one point or another.  Please keep the profanity to a minimum.

2.  Never use anyone's real name in a post without their prior permission.

3.  Please do not create threads for the purpose of being abusive to another member.

4.  This thread is the designated combat thread.  If you must exchange messages that aren't related to the topic please post those types of comments in this thread only.

If you have any issues or questions please send me a PM, I'm here to make sure things run smoothly...for everyone.

-Me again

7/08/2017 8:25 am  #97

I would ask posters to address the arguments that people post, rather than just trying to dismiss the person making them with some label.

For example, someone posts "I think that Smith is doing a terrible job with the Heathcare bill. His plans has the following flaws,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Someone else responds, "Smith Hater! Smith is great!"

Hey, it's not that this offends me. I'm made of sterner stuff.
It's just,,,,With all due respect, we don't gain much from such exchanges.
It's vacuous.

It would be better to answer an argument with an argument. For example, "Smith's healthcare plan does the following good things"

I think that we would all get more out of the discussion here if we heeded this.

Last edited by Goose (7/08/2017 10:26 am)

7/08/2017 3:16 pm  #98

Goose wrote:

I would ask posters to address the arguments that people post, rather than just trying to dismiss the person making them with some label.

For example, someone posts "I think that Smith is doing a terrible job with the Heathcare bill. His plans has the following flaws,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Someone else responds, "Smith Hater! Smith is great!"

Hey, it's not that this offends me. I'm made of sterner stuff.
It's just,,,,With all due respect, we don't gain much from such exchanges.
It's vacuous.

It would be better to answer an argument with an argument. For example, "Smith's healthcare plan does the following good things"

I think that we would all get more out of the discussion here if we heeded this.

I think we all get exasperated from time to time and don't always fully addresses the issue at hand, but mostly we tend to add something of substance. When constantly there is no feedback on the actual subject, one tends to dismiss the poster and his or her posts. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/08/2017 3:26 pm  #99

Good point.
I'm hungry to get more than the tit for tat stuff.
It's getting harder to find.

I've been searching out conservative writers lately.
Thoughtful folks. Not those who mindlessly cheer the tweets that we ALL know are junk.

Bret Stephens who writes for the NYT was a good hire.

Last edited by Goose (7/08/2017 3:40 pm)

7/21/2017 7:59 am  #100

Is it just me, or is the term Fake News the most overused - and misused - term on the American scene this year?
Just Google the term and you will see hits from, well, everyone.

To me, words mean things. Fake News would be defined as a news story that is untrue, that it's author knew was untrue, and that he passed it on for some nefarious purpose.

But, now the term seems to be the go to answer in response to any piece of news that one happens to not like.
(Donald Trump even used the phrase in a story about his son meeting with the Russians when the source was his son's emails, which Jr.  had released himself!)

Why is this objectionable?
It has become a way to shut down discussion rather than engage in it.
It is a way of maintaining one's bubble.
Knowledge, understanding, and ultimately wisdom, are casualties of such thinking.

Last edited by Goose (7/21/2017 8:39 am)

Board footera