The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2017 5:16 am  #1

Newt Tries to Exploit Tragedy

Gingrich: Shooting caused by 'increasing intensity of hostility' on the left
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/337771-gingrich-shooting-caused-by-increasing-intensity-of-hostility-on-the-left

Newt Gingrich goes out on the day of the shooting and tries to criminalize dissent.

Newt, if you are concerned about overheated rhetoric, that's fine.
But, I'm going to expect you to be consistent. Get a mirror, Newt.

I never heard Bernie advocate that anybody commit a violent act or that anyone should be forcibly removed from a rally.

I never heard Jeb promise to pay the legal fees of a guy who punched someone at a rally.

I never heard Hillary call a political opponent a "Criminal"

Never heard chants of "Lock him/her up" at a Clinton rally.

"Pizzagate" was NOT a liberal conspiracy.

It wasn't a liberal who accused the First Lady of murdering Vince Foster.

It wasn't the left who accused thousands and thousands of Muslims in New Jersey of cheering on 9/11.

It wasn't the left who suggested that all Mexican immigrants were criminals.

Never saw Ted Nugent invited for dinner at the Obama White House.

It can't be dangerous when one side does it, and just bowing off steam when someone else does it. It can't be offensive when one guy does it, and Oh you take him too literally when someone else does it.

Anyway, this is all political crap. People on the left were wrong when they blamed republicans for Gabby Giffords' shooting.
People on the right are just as wrong right now.

"You are responsible for inciting violence if you actually incite or organize or bless violence.
Otherwise, not. "
Ross Douthart

If you are advocating violence, you need to stop it.
If you are using your first amendment right to speak to offer criticism, you need to keep it up.

We should be wary of any attempt to use a tragic and horrible crime as a means for stifling legitimate political dissent.
The media, critical op-ed essays, and Congressional investigations of Trump and his administration are not to blame for this violence:

Last edited by Goose (6/15/2017 6:57 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/15/2017 12:32 pm  #2

Re: Newt Tries to Exploit Tragedy

The denizens of Washington, D.C. are adept at assigning blame, but not so good at accepting responsibility.

I believe the recent camaraderie demonstrated by democrats and republicans as a result of the ballpark shootings will be short lived.

I really hope they will all see their way clear to collaboration, cooperation, and compromise to accomplish their assigned work for the benefit of "the American people", but I doubt that the mutual admiration will last beyond a week.

Call me a cynical person . . . I can deal with that.

6/15/2017 1:22 pm  #3

Call me a cynical person . . . I can deal with that.  - rongone

I was thinking the same thing and I can deal with it, too.

Here's how I see it:  When confronted with an issue or problem, there are two reactions.

1.  assign blame, point fingers, and walk away, or .......
2.  examine, research, and define the root cause of the problem and work toward a solution

Option #1 is easy, option #2 requires work and maybe a little introspection.  Newt let us know the direction he chose.

6/15/2017 3:10 pm  #4

"Why do we have the Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer, it's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical"
Republican Senator Rand Paul

Last edited by Goose (6/15/2017 3:16 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/15/2017 5:21 pm  #5

The good news is, "the motor city madman", Ted Nugent is swearing off (not sure that's the correct terminology) incendiary language after the shooting at the ball park.

Ted Nugent Promises to Stop ‘Hateful Rhetoric’ After Alexandria Shooting

Rockstar and conservative activist Ted Nugent has promised to tone down his hateful political rhetoric on the heels of accused gunman James T. Hodgkinson opening fire on the GOP congressional baseball team in Alexandria, Virginia on Wednesday. Some lawmakers and media members have blamed hateful political rhetoric for the incident.

“I’m not going to engage in that kind of hateful rhetoric anymore,” Nugent said Thursday on “Curtis & Eboni,” a political talk show on WABC Radio in New York.

Curtis Silwa and Fox News host Eboni K. Williams grilled Nugent on “hateful” rhetoric, which the rock star is no stranger to. Nugent has made threats against former President Obama several times in the past, including telling Obama to “suck on my machine gun.” He also made inflammatory remarks about Hillary Clinton, calling her a “devilbitch” who “hates everything good about America.”

Nugent said the subject has reached a critical stage and said he “re-evaluated his approach” to the tough-guy language he learned growing up as a “street fighter” in Detroit.

“I just can’t use those harsh terms,” Nugent said. “I cannot and I will not and I encourage even my friends slash enemy on the left in the Democrat, liberal world that we have got to be civil to each other.”

Nugent said the “whole world is watching America” and we have to be “more respectful to the other side.” The Motor City Mad Man said he’s going to “back down” and when things get hateful, he will go away.

He even complimented Williams, who is left-leaning Independent with a show on Fox News, on her “civil discourse.”

Twitter recently went bananas when Nugent visited President Trump at the White House because of his history of suggesting violence against Obama, but he said he’s changed the way he will communicate going forward.

“When I made those wild-ass comments, on stage, about then-Senator Hillary Clinton and then-senator Barack Obama, I don’t know if you can grasp the degree of adrenalin and intensity and sheer over-the-top animal spirit and attitude that I live on stage,” he said. “I’ve got to take that deep breath.”

Nugent promised to “void anything that can be interpreted as condoning or referencing violence” going forward.

I'm willing to give Ted the benefit of the doubt . . .

I'll give him about a month before he launches into another tirade against someone he perceives as a libtard.

6/15/2017 6:49 pm  #6

There actually WAS a time when Republicans and Democrats could agree to compromise and get something done. With the passing of that dynamic, rose the hostility we have today between the tribes and the electorate itself. 

I am not sure we can get back to those days of old. The bad thing is that WE have it in our power to accomplish it, IF we can look past our differences. I am not too hopeful on that, however. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/18/2017 7:05 am  #7

Goose wrote:

Gingrich: Shooting caused by 'increasing intensity of hostility' on the left
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/337771-gingrich-shooting-caused-by-increasing-intensity-of-hostility-on-the-left

Wrong again, Newt.
He was just a violent nut job, with free access to military grade weapons.

Before the Gunfire in Virginia, a Volatile Home Life in Illinois

BELLEVILLE, Ill. — Signs of a deeply disturbed family life kept surfacing from the well-kept house with the pale sun awning and the pretty flowerpots off a gravel road here.

One of James T. Hodgkinson’s foster daughters killed herself in a gruesome fashion: by dousing herself with gasoline and setting herself on fire. Another described herself as “more of a hindrance than a daughter.” And when Mr. Hodgkinson dragged his grandniece by her hair and tried to choke her, the police were called in, and he was charged with battery. In previously sealed court papers obtained by the local newspaper, she described him as an abusive alcoholic who hit her repeatedly.

Elsewhere in America, people learned this past week who Mr. Hodgkinson was: the seemingly deranged gunman who, fueled by leftist rage, opened fire on a congressional baseball practice in Alexandria, Va., grievously wounding Representative Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the Republican whip, and three other people. He was carrying a list with the names of at least three Republican lawmakers and had pictures of the ballpark on his cellphone, law enforcement officials said on Friday.

But here in Belleville, a quaint little city where flags fly on Main Street and the movie theater marquee is set off in lights, Mr. Hodgkinson, 66, who was killed when Capitol Police officers returned his fire, was known to some friends and neighbors as a volatile figure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/us/virginia-shooting-james-hodgkinson-illinois.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

6/18/2017 9:19 am  #8

Why was this obviously dangerous, volatile nutcase allowed to have a weapon in the first place?  Let's let Newt answer that.

6/18/2017 11:33 am  #9

Board footera