The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2017 6:21 am  #1

Gov. Tom Wolf signs Pa.'s pension overhaul into law

Gov. Tom Wolf signs Pa.'s pension overhaul into law

BY JAN MURPHY jmurphy@pennlive.com

Gov. Tom Wolf on Monday afternoon signed into law a pension bill that will change the retirement savings plans for future state government and public school employees hired in 2019 and after.

The plans move away from the current guaranteed pension system that public employees in Pennsylvania participated in for about a century, and to one that includes in part or in whole a 401(k)-style plan that many in the private sector have. Employees will have three retirement savings options from which to choose but once a decision is made, it's final.

The legislation passed both chambers with bi-partisan support. In the Senate, it passed by a 40-9 vote and the House, 143-53.

Wolf said he was delighted to be with the assembly of lawmakers who helped in passing the legislation and presenting it to him to sign. He said it's fair to workers and fair to taxpayers.

"I couldn't be prouder to be here ... to get real meaningful pension reform," the governor said. "Here in Harrisburg we can get important things done in a way that I think a lot of other places cannot."

The pension law is touted as one that will avoid pension cost spikes like the ones state government and school districts now face and be more sustainable in future years. It shifts the investment risk away from taxpayers and on to employees into the new pension program.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/14/2017 8:13 am  #2

Re: Gov. Tom Wolf signs Pa.'s pension overhaul into law

Wolf needed a big win going into next year's campaign and this will give him something to run on. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

6/14/2017 11:34 am  #3

Good for him. This should have been done a long time ago. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/14/2017 2:01 pm  #4

I'm assuming this kicks in for those hired beginning in 2019?  If so, then those who put in 35 years of service in 2054 they would be the first to retire under this pension plan?

6/14/2017 4:00 pm  #5

Correct....only affects new hires.

"Savings" totally illusory at this point.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera