The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2017 6:05 am  #1

What I Saw at the Venice Biennale

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/30/2017 7:14 am  #2

Re: What I Saw at the Venice Biennale

Looks cool. Was in Venice many years ago for two days and loved the atmosphere. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/30/2017 7:25 am  #3

Making my first trip to Venice in September.
I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/30/2017 11:31 am  #4

Good for you, Goose!  I might warn you that figuring out Venice is like trying to figure out a bowl of spaghetti.  I hope you are planning to stay at least a couple of days.  Be sure to visit Murano and watch the glass blowers.  I'll be in Florence from September 20 to October 2.

5/30/2017 11:41 am  #5

Four nights in Venice, then the lakes region and Croatia

5/30/2017 1:34 pm  #6

If you get a chance and can work it into your schedule, visit Padua and the Arena Chapel.  From an art historian's point-of-view, the fresco cycle by Giotto is perhaps one of the greatest works in the history of art.

Giotto was one of the most important and influential artists in the history of art.  Padua is probably a short hop from Venice.  His fresco cycle broke the mold moving from medieval to pre-Renaissance times.  I think it was done around 1305.  Look him up along with googling the Arena Chapel.  Giotto brought religion "down to earth" giving people real emotion and not depicted as stiff icons.

5/30/2017 2:40 pm  #7

Thank you, Fred. 
From the map it looks quite conveniently located.
Starting research tonite!

Last edited by Goose (5/30/2017 2:41 pm)

5/30/2017 8:47 pm  #8

Be sure to check to see if you need tickets in advance.  The chapel is small, but well worth the effort.  The story behind its construction is interesting, too.  Research the Scrovengi family.  His son commissioned Giotto believing that God would look favorably on his dad and save him from going to hell.  His father was a money lender and charged clients high interest rates.  Usery is a sin ........ one of the worst.

Board footera