The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2017 5:55 am  #1

Can Pa. Dems make headway Tuesday?

Interesting. At the very least, I think having fewer people running unopposed is a good thing for our country.

First came Trump anger. Now the primary. Can Pa. Dems make headway Tuesday?

Six months ago, shell-shocked Democrats in the suburbs of Philadelphia were so outraged by the election of President Trump that they pledged to “resist” by joining the political system and rebuilding their weakened party at the neighborhood level.

On Tuesday, voters from both parties in Pennsylvania will get the first chance to see if that outrage paid off.

Democrats are mounting full or nearly full slates of primary candidates in communities where, in prior years, they couldn’t drum up a single person to challenge entrenched Republicans for school board, local supervisor, or district justice posts.
In nine solidly Republican Bucks County municipalities where Democrats couldn't field a single candidate two years ago, the party is running challengers for supervisor or council. 

Such activity is unusual for off-year elections, particularly after a presidential race. These traditionally are the most low-wattage races, with turnout often below 20 percent, even though they can have the most immediate impact on voters’ lives by shaping local taxes, laws, and school leadership.

But the outcome of the 2016 presidential election galvanized newcomers to run for school board or on local party committees, to help the party regain core strength. Just how many are now in the system could help determine the outcome of some races Tuesday.

Because Democrats and Republicans may cross-file on both ballots in school board and judicial primaries, the work of committee people -- who canvass neighborhoods and knock on doors to educate voters -- will be crucial. Republicans have long excelled at this, with ardent and abundant committee rank and file. But Democrats hope to gain ground. 

Chester County Democratic committeeman Stephen Schur said he has 27 of 32 local committee posts filled heading into Tuesday -- compared with the seven he had on Election Day in November. 

“We’ve got volunteers everywhere doing literature drops,” he said.  “We’ve got thousands of pieces of materials and we’re running out.”

They are pushing to help elect three party-backed Democrats for four Owen J. Roberts school board seats, and a Democrat vying for a district justice slot. The races cover a seven-town zone that includes East, North and South Coventry Townships -- and didn't field a single Democratic candidate in 2015.

Pennsylvania Democrats -- traditionally strongest in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and in recent years, its surrounding counties -- are hoping to replicate a political strategy that, for years, has worked well for Republicans. The GOP so dominates locally in Pennsylvania that the party controls the legislature and, from that, the drawing of congressional districts to favor Republicans. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Will-Trump-energize-Pennsylvania-primary-voters.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/14/2017 8:22 am  #2

Re: Can Pa. Dems make headway Tuesday?

Yeah, but, as a registered independent voter in PA, i don't get to cast a vote in this primary. There's nothing on my ballot that allows me to vote since I don't swear allegiance to one of the major parties.

Democracy in action.

5/16/2017 8:07 am  #3

I was the third in my precinct to vote this morning. All three of us were Democrats so I suppose you can say that we were a motivated bunch.

I'll give county dems credit for being able to put a full slate of Row Office candidates (Coroner, Sherriff, Prothonotary, etc) up for election.

Voted for a bunch of state judges, all of whom could be axe murdering, law school dropouts for all I know. Pennsylvania really needs to find a better way to choose judges. 

Nobody ran on the Dem side for any of the local township races, which is fine. I'm really happy with the day to day running of our township and don't really see the need for a change (and besides, the Township Manager controls everything anyway.)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/16/2017 8:38 am  #4

Here in my district in York County, the only interesting decisions are on the judges. 

I don't see the current election as a test one way or another for either party at least here. Maybe others disagree. It is good to see that in Larger's area that they have at least a full slate of candidates on both sides of the aisle. Hopefully all are reasonable choices. We NEED to have valid candidates on both sides of the aisle that can articulate their positions and qualifications. 

Last edited by tennyson (5/16/2017 8:38 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/16/2017 5:34 pm  #5

The lawyer glut is clearly evident by the crowded field for even the minor judiciary (Magesterial District Judge).

I'm told that recent graduates from law school would be hard pressed to earn $80K/year to the $78K MDJ salary would look very attractive....and steady income for 6 years.   The county bench is 100K/yr higher.   No wonder there are 9 candidates for 10 years of steady six figure income.

Life is an Orthros.

5/17/2017 9:32 am  #6

I registered with a party (Democrat) for the first time in five years so I could vote for an MDJ candidate here who I felt was head and shoulders above the rest. Seemed particularly relevant given what happened to our last MDJ - we need someone to restore trust in the office.

I was very pleased with the outcome. I've been feeling like it might become impossible for decent people to get elected to any office.

Other than that race, I really had no idea who was who, and in our town there were hardly any Democrats running for municipal positions. Turnout was abysmal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Board footera