The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2017 2:25 pm  #1

Cutting Your Trash in Half

How To Start Composting And Reduce Your Trash In Half

By Julie R. Thomson

Get ready for a startling statistic: about 50 percent of your garbage, on a daily basis, shouldn’t be thrown away. It’s hard to deny the absurdity of this fact, even if you don’t really care about the planet all that much.

Every day, half of what gets thrown into the trash could actually be turned into nutrient-dense organic compost, which is basically nature’s fertilizer. By starting a compost, you could save money on chemical fertilizer, make your yard look awesome, and feel good about yourself by doing something great for the planet. All around win.

It takes a little bit of work to get a compost going. But once you’ve got a bin lined with brown materials, outlined below, you can start adding food scraps like vegetable peels and egg shells to the bin — and that’s how you cut down on the garbage. If compost’s stinky reputation is holding you back, coffee grounds are a great way to get a handle on the smell.

Get started with help from this handy infographic below and reduce your carbon footprint today.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/26/2017 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Cutting Your Trash in Half

We got a Free Compost Bin years ago in York at a Agricultural Extension presentation. They gave one to any one there who wanted one. It is a pretty sturdy device. We are pretty good about it in the summer but later in the year we kind of slack off. 

The ONLY problem I had with it was that the holes in the side were large enough to allow a yellow jacket colony to get in it the other year. I had to wait till I could get rid of them (took awhile) and then I put wire screening over the openings and taped them fast. Solved the yellow jacket problem and still get ventilation which is needed. 

Just started to add some things today to it. 

I does take a little attending to, but not a real bother. 

Besides, the compost makes nice side dressing around plants, etc. during growing season.  

Last edited by tennyson (3/26/2017 5:56 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/04/2017 10:41 pm  #3

Re: Cutting Your Trash in Half

Helping the earth and reducing waste? Awesomeness!

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open.

Board footera