The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2017 8:08 am  #1

Rolling Stones: Chuck Berry's Music 'Is Engraved Inside Us Forever'

Rolling Stones: Chuck Berry's Music 'Is Engraved Inside Us Forever'

The Rolling Stones paid tribute to rock & roll innovator Chuck Berry, both as a band and individually, in a series of statements following the music legend's death Saturday at the age of 90.

Police reported that they attempted to revive the guitar player and singer-songwriter but that he was unresponsive
"The Rolling Stones are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Chuck Berry," the band wrote in a statement. "He was a true pioneer of rock & roll and a massive influence on us. Chuck was not only a brilliant guitarist, singer and performer, but most importantly, he was a master craftsman as a songwriter. His songs will live forever."

Over the course of their career, the Stones frequently covered Berry's music; the band's debut single in 1963 was a rendition of Berry's "Come On." The Stones also performed Berry's "Around and Around," "Carol," "Little Queenie" and more.
In a separate statement, Mick Jagger added, "I am so sad to hear of Chuck Berry's passing. I want to thank him for all the inspirational music he gave to us. He lit up our teenage years, and blew life into our dreams of being musicians and performers. His lyrics shone above others and threw a strange light on the American dream. Chuck, you were amazing, and your music is engraved inside us forever."
Keith Richards, who performed alongside the rock & roll legend and even jovially admitted to being punched by Berry on one occasion – said in a statement, "One of my big lights has gone out!"
"So sad ~ with the passing of Chuck Berry comes the end of an era, He was one of the best and my inspiration, a true character indeed," guitarist Ronnie Wood added.

Other members of rock royalty remembered Berry's immeasurable impact on rock & roll. "I am so sad to hear about
Chuck Berry passing - a big inspiration! He will be missed by everyone who loves Rock 'n Roll," tweeted Brian Wilson, while Bruce Springsteen wrote on Twitter, "Chuck Berry was rock's greatest practitioner, guitarist, and the greatest pure rock & roll writer who ever lived."

The Beatles' Ringo Starr, who covered Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven" with the Fab Four on With the Beatles, tweeted, "R I P. And peace and love Chuck Berry Mr. rock 'n' roll music."

Last edited by Goose (3/19/2017 8:08 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/19/2017 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Rolling Stones: Chuck Berry's Music 'Is Engraved Inside Us Forever'

I regret that I ever took the time to try and get to a Check Berry show. That guy launched a thousand guitar player's careers. 

He had a good long life and I think was playing right up to the end. A true legend.

Here's a clip of Keith Richards and Chuck Berry yelling at each other and Keith telling the story of the time Berry punched him from touching his guitar

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera