The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2017 2:41 pm  #1

NY attorney reportedly probed Price investments before his firing

NY attorney reportedly probed Price investments before his firing
BY NIKITA VLADIMIROV - 03/17/17 03:12 PM EDT  34

Preet Bharara, the former U.S. attorney fired by the Justice Department last week, was investigating Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price at the time of his dismissal, Pro Publica reported Friday.

The former New York attorney's probe concerned the legitimacy of Price’s investments in biotech companies.

During his confirmation hearing in January, Price admitted that he had traded stock in health-related companies while co-sponsoring healthcare legislation in Congress.

Democrats accused Price of using his congressional office to benefit himself, though the former lawmaker insisted that the trades were proper and legal.

The Trump administration last week requested the resignations of 46 U.S. attorneys appointed under former President Obama.

Bharara, who served as the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, refused to resign, prompting the White House to terminate his position.

"I did not resign. Moments ago I was fired. Being the US Attorney in SDNY will forever be the greatest honor of my professional life," Bharara tweeted.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/17/2017 4:01 pm  #2

Re: NY attorney reportedly probed Price investments before his firing

Preet Bharara, the former U.S. attorney fired by the Justice Department last week, was investigating Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price at the time of his dismissal.

Well, that explains alot.

3/17/2017 6:14 pm  #3

Oh, I am sure THAT investigation will be squashed ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/19/2017 8:29 am  #4

There should be many DOJ attorneys and FBI agents involved in the "investigation" It's not like the US attorney was doing this himself. I would thing that the career folks would follow through with what they were looking at. Right now there is nothing that says anything different.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/19/2017 8:40 am  #5

Common Sense wrote:

There should be many DOJ attorneys and FBI agents involved in the "investigation" It's not like the US attorney was doing this himself. I would thing that the career folks would follow through with what they were looking at. Right now there is nothing that says anything different.

You really believe that the next guy in that office, who will be a Trump appointee will continues into an investigation of another Trump appointee?
I've got a bridge to sell you.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/19/2017 8:49 am  #6

Goose wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

You really believe that the next guy in that office, who will be a Trump appointee will continues into an investigation of another Trump appointee?

Hmmm. Guess I would have to speak to President Clinton about speaking to AG Lynch? 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/19/2017 8:52 am  #7

Common Sense wrote:

Goose wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

Hmmm. Guess I would have to speak to President Clinton about speaking to AG Lynch? 

Once again, failing to defend Mr Trump, you try to change the subject.
Tiresome.

So, your argument is, not that this is right, but that Trump is no better than bill Clinton, a man whom you despise?
That about it?
Interesting how selective your outrage can be. 

Last edited by Goose (3/19/2017 9:58 am)

Board footera