The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2016 4:57 am  #1

Anthem Protests Mark (or mar) Opening Day

NFL's opening day: Reaction to Colin Kaeperick's anthem protest
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/12/sport/colin-kaepernick-nfl-opening-day-reaction-trnd/index.html

I personally cannot wait for this thing to run its course and go away.
I support the right of any American to peacefully protest. And I recognize the injustice that minorities sometimes endure at the hands of some police. It is a conversation that we should have.

However, a protest during the anthem is so incendiary to some that it has the effect of leading to less conversation, less understanding, less unity.
A protest during the anthem very quickly changes the conversation to taking positions about who is more patriotic, who respects the troops more, etc.
As a protest, it gets attention, but ultimately fails, as it creates heat but no light. 
Let's move on. 

Last edited by Goose (9/12/2016 4:58 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/12/2016 7:06 am  #2

Re: Anthem Protests Mark (or mar) Opening Day

I agree totally that it is counterproductive to what the protester wants to accomplish. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

9/12/2016 6:13 pm  #3

Goose wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/12/sport/colin-kaepernick-nfl-opening-day-reaction-trnd/index.html

I support the right of any American to peacefully protest. And I recognize the injustice that minorities sometimes endure at the hands of some police. It is a conversation that we should have.

However, a protest during the anthem is so incendiary to some that it has the effect of leading to less conversation, less understanding, less unity.
A protest during the anthem very quickly changes the conversation to taking positions about who is more patriotic, who respects the troops more, etc.
As a protest, it gets attention, but ultimately fails, as it creates heat but no light. 
Let's move on. 

I saw a note the other day that said last month, the Kaepernick 49ers jersey was ranked 135th in number of NFL jerseys sold. 

Last week, it was the number 1 selling jersey.

So I think Kapernick has started something of a conversation and it was directly due to his sitting during the anthem.

And there were sporadic similar protests by players throughout Week 1 in the NFL. But they were overshadowed by the outpouring of support from the majority of players.

At the end of the day, Kaepernick's protest was a flash in the pan. But I think it was a worthy endeavor on his part.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/12/2016 6:59 pm  #4

This may ruffle some feathers, but, from my perspective, the national anthem is a poem that was converted to a song (if I was president, I would attempt to change the national anthem from "The Star Spangled Banner" to Ray Charles' rendition of "America"), and the flag is merely a piece of cloth. Neither is sacred or holy. They deserve respect, but not blind reverence. There is a difference between chauvinism and patriotism.

The Constitution protects these types of demonstrations, and, whether you agree with them or not, you must respect the fact that people in this country are free to express their displeasure without the fear of repercussion.

9/12/2016 7:01 pm  #5

TheLagerLad wrote:

Goose wrote:

Let's move on. 

I saw a note the other day that said last month, the Kaepernick 49ers jersey was ranked 135th in number of NFL jerseys sold. 

Last week, it was the number 1 selling jersey.

So I think Kapernick has started something of a conversation and it was directly due to his sitting during the anthem.

And there were sporadic similar protests by players throughout Week 1 in the NFL. But they were overshadowed by the outpouring of support from the majority of players.

At the end of the day, Kaepernick's protest was a flash in the pan. But I think it was a worthy endeavor on his part.

If I understand correctly most of that revenue generated goes back to the NFL teams themselves. Not sure much if anything goes to the cause he is trying to support. Please check me on this, but I believe that is how it works with NFL logoed items such as jerseys. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

9/13/2016 8:48 am  #6

Because nothing shows respect for American values - and Christianity for that matter -  more than advocating  summary execution.

Alabama Pastor Allen Joyner Says People Who Don't Stand For The National Anthem Should Be Shot

Comments were met by "crazy cheering" at a high school football game on Friday night.
09/12/2016

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ed MazzaOvernight Editor [img]http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/crop_304_139_946_436,scalefit_630_noupscale/57d62c021300002b0039b4d8.jpeg?cache=tq0zjvnimn[/img]Sweet Home Baptist Church in McKenzie, Alabama.

Church pastor Allen Joyner suggested that the military shoot people who don't stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner."

An Alabama pastor delivered a message on Friday that was not found in any Bible passage. He told the crowd at a high school football game to rise for the national anthem... or get shot.

“If you don’t want to stand for the National Anthem, you can line up over there by the fence and let our military personnel take a few shots AT you since they’re taking shots FOR you,” Pastor Allen Joyner said before a game in McKenzie, Alabama, according to a now-deleted Facebook post that was preserved in a number of places online:

Last edited by Goose (9/13/2016 9:01 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/13/2016 9:09 am  #7

Goose wrote:

Because nothing shows respect for American values - and Christianity for that matter -  more than advocating  summary execution.

Alabama Pastor Allen Joyner Says People Who Don't Stand For The National Anthem Should Be Shot

Comments were met by "crazy cheering" at a high school football game on Friday night.
09/12/2016

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ed MazzaOvernight Editor [img]http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/crop_304_139_946_436,scalefit_630_noupscale/57d62c021300002b0039b4d8.jpeg?cache=tq0zjvnimn[/img]Sweet Home Baptist Church in McKenzie, Alabama.

Church pastor Allen Joyner suggested that the military shoot people who don't stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner."

An Alabama pastor delivered a message on Friday that was not found in any Bible passage. He told the crowd at a high school football game to rise for the national anthem... or get shot.

“If you don’t want to stand for the National Anthem, you can line up over there by the fence and let our military personnel take a few shots AT you since they’re taking shots FOR you,” Pastor Allen Joyner said before a game in McKenzie, Alabama, according to a now-deleted Facebook post that was preserved in a number of places online:

Gives the word "Christian" a black eye ! 

Last edited by tennyson (9/13/2016 9:09 am)

Board footera