The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2016 12:16 pm  #1

2016 Phillies

What does everyone think about this years team?

Last year I predicted a 65 win season, and they ended up with 63 wins.  This year I think they will end up with 68 wins.

I am excited for the first time in about 5 years for this team, even though they will be bad.  They should have 3 decent young pitchers this year (Nola, Eickhoff, and Velasquez).  I am looking forward to a full season of Maikel Franco at 3rd base.

Plus the fact they have about 8-10 prospects that should be coming up within the next year or two, the future at least looks bright again. 

4/03/2016 2:16 pm  #2

Re: 2016 Phillies

I'm anxious for the season, too.  I like the young guys.  They seem to play with enthusiasm.  Last year, when the opposing team scored 3 or 4 runs, I figured it was over.  This year I'd like to see the Phils fight to the end and maybe come back and win a few games late when they need 2 or 3 runs in the 8th or 9th inning.

4/28/2016 11:53 am  #3

As of today, the Phils are 11-10.  Franco, Herrera, Hernandez and Rupp have done well swinging the bats and we have seen some good starts from our young pitchers.

That being said, the record is a mirage as their expected win percentage based on runs scored/allowed is much worse.  They still will be lucky to reach 70 wins.

However, the future looks bright and many of the young prospects in the minors are off to a good start as well.  2019 is our year baby!

4/30/2016 6:39 pm  #4

I'm watching them play the Indians right now and I know this is the first time they've been more than two games over .500 since late 2012.

I mean, who knows. They've been enjoyable to watch so far. They swept the Nats last week. The starting staff has far exceeded expectations. The bullpen, outside of opening weekend, has been, not horrible. 

Ryan Howard is garbage, but this is his last season.

Maybe 80 wins???

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/04/2016 1:12 pm  #5

Nola, Eickhoff and Velasquez have been spectacular so far.  The bullpen has been solid, with Gomez and Neris doing great.

I just don't see enough offense from them.  Franco and Herrera have shown they are long-term players, but the rest are just replacement players at best.  We need to hope all the really hitting prospects develop in the next two years and we might be in for another 5-10 stretch of winning baseball.

For the time being though, I am enjoying watching them play

5/04/2016 2:02 pm  #6

The reason I'm excited about the Phils is that they seem excited and energized, too.  Actually entertaining to watch, win or lose.  Big difference from last year.

5/04/2016 3:21 pm  #7

Just Fred wrote:

The reason I'm excited about the Phils is that they seem excited and energized, too.  Actually entertaining to watch, win or lose.  Big difference from last year.

I'll challenge that notion and say so far they're not entertaining to watch. They're actually quite boring until the 8th and 9th inning. 

I mean they don't hit. 

That said, I'm enjoying the season so far. Just win, baby!

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/04/2016 3:34 pm  #8

Well, last year when a team went up 3 runs by the 5th or 6th inning, I found something else to do.  At least now I'm hanging in there.  You're right, Lager, they're not tearing the cover off the ball, but this year they're getting a few hits with runners in scoring position.  Last year they must have led the league with runners-on-base.  It would be nice, though, if they'd have more outfielders batting above the Mendoza Line.

5/05/2016 6:40 am  #9

Nice to see Ryan Howard get on a little bit of a roll. 420 foot HR to center last night.

By all rights, the Phillies were killed by those instant replay calls in the 5th inning. Killed the momentum of the game.

Anyway, another good effort by the Fightin's 

5/26/2016 7:01 pm  #10

It has been 3 weeks and the Phils are still above .500, although they are only 4-6 in their last ten games.  Their pitching is still near the tops of the NL and the offense is still pretty weak.  They are starting to show signs of struggling.

It was nice to see Tommy Joseph come up, glad to see his physical issues seem to be resolved and he is turning into the player they hoped when they traded for him in the Hunter Pence deal.  I would love to see him play all the time and bench Howard, getting Howard out of the lineup is long overdue.

Board footera