The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2016 8:05 am  #1

First National Bank

When we got back to the states from our last overseas assignment in 2001, we established our banking relationship with Metro Bank. They had the most convenient hours, good loan rates, free checking, no charge for checks, no fees for ATM transactions, no charge for paper statements, and an overall friendly staff. Recently we were told that First National Bank was taking over Metro. We received a packet in the mail explaining changes that would be forthcoming with this transition. We were told that more specific information would follow regarding your specific accounts. That more specific information never came. I went to my local branch at Windsor Commons and found the parking lot full. Inside was a large group of customers looking for answers about their accounts, the reduced hours, the newly imposed numerous fees the bank has imposed to restrict our use of our money while the bank rakes in piles of money for warehousing and lending out our money. The new staff was frazzled, except for one lady who has been there since we started banking there -- she started as a teller and now is assistant manager -- the new tellers were curt and irritable -- the manager of the branch was miserable, chastising customers for their questions, short angry responses to questions from account holders. I was taken aback. First National has handled this transition badly, did not make account specific information available (as promised) to customers, has been rude to customers seeking answers -- the branch at Windsor Commons has been packed every day this week with anxious customers looking for answers. What the get from the bank branch is disrespected and they leave angry.

So, my initial reaction to First National Bank is negative. Does anybody else have experience with this takeover?

2/19/2016 9:49 am  #2

Re: First National Bank

Too big to fail - - - EXCEPT with its CUSTOMERS ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/19/2016 10:28 am  #3

OMG!  Close all accounts and go to a credit union.  Banks are like sponges, soaking up your funds to increase theirs.  I've been a c.u. member for 25 years and have yet to pay 1 cent for anything except for checks and any loans taken out and NO Minimum balances!.  You'll find c. u. almost always pay higher rates for deposits--granted there are not many these days--and lower interest rates. Run, Rongone. run to the nearest  credit union.  I've been a member of Members1st for 15+ years but if they've no convenient offices for you it's my understanding PSECU will accept members from non-state employees.  Also--and this is a big one--credit unions have an association and in it you can use almost any credit union's ATM FREE in the whole world.  The free c.u. ATMs can be found on line and I'll guarantee you it will include every c.u. in this area.  Finally, people are really, really stupid to deal with banks!
BTW-- some Giants have Members 1st offices/ATMs in them. 

2/19/2016 12:55 pm  #4

I don't have experience with this particular bank. But, I have been a customer of a bank that got acquired by another. It was pretty much seamless. We barely noticed the change.

I would say that this botched transition does not bode well for the future.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/19/2016 6:51 pm  #5

I agree 100% with flowergirl.

Unless you are operating a relatively large sized business or organization, a credit union should be able to offer you all the banking needs you would need.  There is a Members 1st FCU located in the Giant at Windsor Commons, I know the Manager and she is great.  There is also a First Capital FCU along Cape Horn Rd near the Rutters at the intersection with Belle Road.

I worked in the finance industry for 10 years, at both banks and credit unions.  The difference between how they operate and treat customer is night and day.  I would never go back to either "bank" or work for a bank.  For the most part, banks have little interest in regular customers because they are not profitable.  They really only care about customers who accumulate a lot of fees, customers with large deposits (over $250,000) or businesses and organizations who also generate income for the banks.

2/19/2016 7:39 pm  #6

Another feature I love about Members 1st, as a long-time member, is all the new offices they've opened in recent years.  It's very convenient to find an office when traveling around York County and I think I've used most of the ATMs at one time or another.  Convenience should be their middle name.  Other c. u. have sparsely located offices.

4/07/2016 9:39 am  #7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_union
Members are owners. Just by being a member, you can run for a seat on the board. Try that with a bank.
Thank you Germany.

Board footera