The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2016 6:34 pm  #1

Super Bowl

Lady gaga ok with national anthem.
But nowhere near Renee Fleming

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/07/2016 10:35 pm  #2

Re: Super Bowl

Very, very true.  But at least she didn't kill it like many other singers do.
Sure glad I switched over to TCM to watch the "Harvey Girls" with Judy Garland, Marjorie Main and a lot of other stars.  That football game wasn't a game it was a give-away!  One of the worst NFL games I've ever peaked in on.

Last edited by flowergirl (2/08/2016 1:18 pm)

2/07/2016 10:48 pm  #3

The commercials weren't all that great, either.   There seemed to be many more movie trailers and network show previews than ever before.

The Doritos ultrasound/delivery was the best, followed by the singing sheep and "meet the ketchup".

Kudos to Budweiser for  "don't drive impaired"; and to whoever sponsored the "close the faucet".

Halftime, was, as the Pennsylvania Dutch say, "about half":    Great opening, decent closing, with nothing but noise in the middle.

Life is an Orthros.

2/07/2016 11:28 pm  #4

I agree. I thought that was one of the worst played super bowl I've ever seen, and I've seen them all. I'm not saying that because I picked Carolina. I just think both teams played sloppily.

The commercials were pretty lousy also. I'm with Tarnation on the Doritos ultrasound being pretty good.

2/07/2016 11:38 pm  #5

Rongone wrote:

I agree. I thought that was one of the worst played super bowl I've ever seen, and I've seen them all. I'm not saying that because I picked Carolina. I just think both teams played sloppily.

Being of similar vintage (and having seen them all, too) I can remember when the Super Bowl was sometimes called the "super dud" because one wondered how the teams ever got there. 

The sheer number of penalties tonight must have been near-record.

Life is an Orthros.

2/08/2016 8:02 am  #6

All in all, it appeared to me to be a case of two good defenses playing very well.  It wasn't one of those 35-32 games with alot of explosive offensive plays.  To make a comparison to baseball, it would be like watching a great pitching duel with the final score something 2-1 instead of a 9-8 slugfest.

Most sports fans want a back-and-forth scoring extravaganza. 

This game belonged to the defenses, and Vaughn Miller deserved the MVP.

2/08/2016 8:52 am  #7

Just Fred wrote:

All in all, it appeared to me to be a case of two good defenses playing very well.  It wasn't one of those 35-32 games with alot of explosive offensive plays.  To make a comparison to baseball, it would be like watching a great pitching duel with the final score something 2-1 instead of a 9-8 slugfest.

Most sports fans want a back-and-forth scoring extravaganza. 

This game belonged to the defenses, and Vaughn Miller deserved the MVP.

Agree. I think a lot of people are used to the "offensive shows" that get normally put on by teams that have excellent quarterbacks such as Cam. Wade Phillips did one heck of a job in prepping his team to defense Cam as well as Carolina's running game. You cannot expect to contain a QB like Cam the whole game and Denver did not entirely, but did an overall defensive job to make Cam the only game and they shut him down enough to make Carolina look tepid. Manning's great days as a QB are long over, but his years of playing the game held him in good stead to lead the win. Kubiak and Phillips knew that Manning could no longer carry the team on his shoulders (much like Cam with all his skills) and built at team that did not rely on the QB. It paid off. In a way, I felt sorry of Cam, he took the loss hard and it showed. Hope it does not stay in his head and ruin him from becoming one of the greatest in the game. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/08/2016 9:41 am  #8

Hey, being a Steeler's fan, I like and appreciate good defense as well as anybody else, but in this game, it seemed to me, that the offensive mistakes were more to blame than defensive prowess. Stupid dead ball penalties on offensive linemen, holding, inability to block stunting linemen. It seemed that neither offense was able to adapt, make changes and generate some kind of offense. Instead the offensive coordinators seemed to keep trying the same failed strategy.

And, speaking of penalties, if the NFL is really serious about protecting player safety, especially dealing with head and neck injuries, Aqib Talib should have been thrown out of the game, along with the 15 yard penalty, for his blatantly violent facemask tackle of Philly Brown in the second quarter.

Last edited by Rongone (2/08/2016 9:43 am)

2/08/2016 10:51 am  #9

Agree with you about the penalty thing, especially associated with personal fouls.  I believe the college rule is a second or third personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct penalty is an automatic ejection.

2/08/2016 1:23 pm  #10

News reports say Denver defeated Caroline.  Defeat Hell, Carolina's quarterback handed the game over to Denver.  Worst ever sloppy game ever played, time and again Carolina's passes were dropped, tipped away or never reached the intended receiver.  Glad I wasn't one who paid thousands for one lousy ticket.

Board footera