The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2018 8:31 am  #1

Anyone Remember the Future?

The 2018 mid term elections appear to be entirely about Donald Trump. That is the way he likes it, but it's making republicans nervous. Polling does not look good for them. While it seems likely that democrats may recapture a majority in the House of Representatives, I think that democrats need more than Trump's offensiveness in 2020.

The election in 2020 will not be about changing the minds of Trump voters. If nothing they have seen in the past two years has caused them to regret their choice, nothing is going to reach them. There is no scandal, no disastrous policy, no abuse that will shame them.They are a lost cause.

Success in 2020, if it comes, will be in recruiting nonvoters to the polls. It will be in getting young people to believe that they have a stake - and a voice - in the future. It will come in convincing overworked moms that voting is just as important as any other thing that they do for their children. It will be in convincing the children of immigrants to come all in.

Democrats, develop a vision for a future. Recruit more excellent candidates.
I am not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera