The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 6:12 am  #1

Eagles

Been 

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 6:49 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/30/2015 8:39 am  #2

Re: Eagles

Goose, the Eagles have increased in our area. I had never seen an eagle here until about 1995 when I traveled to the Scenic Overlook off of Route 444 South and on the the way to Pequea Pinnacle in southern Lancaster County. PP&L had this beautiful observation point above the Safe Harbor Dam. It had observation benches and even one of those coin operated large mounted binoculars. On that day I saw my first eagle in this area. I also saw two osprey and their nest. Sadly, the last time I visited there the observation area was closed to visitors. As a side note, when you started down the dirt road to the observation point, there was an Indian burial mound.

I have also seen eagles below Lake Redman close to the Isaac Walton League when I took a group of students there to prepare for the Envirothon. And many of us have watched the pair of eagles high atop the sycamores on the east bank of the Codorus Creek across from San Carlos Restaurant along Route 30 - though I haven't observed them this past year.

1/30/2015 9:59 am  #3

I bike the Low Grade Enola Trail on the Lancaster side (really very nice trail, btw) along the Susquehanna.  More often than not I see an eagle or two.  I'm no too familiar with how it was in the past in this area, but I can truthfully say they are there now.

1/30/2015 12:32 pm  #4

Fred is the Enola Low Grade Trail the one south of Columbia or is it the one north of Columbia towards Bainbridge?

1/31/2015 7:36 am  #5

South of Columbia.  Right now it is 5.5 miles long, so a round trip is 11 miles.  But, it is one of the best and most scenic bike paths I've ever ridden.  Complete with a few picnic tables , lookout places, and porta potties.

1/31/2015 9:20 am  #6

They have an eagle cam at Codorus state Park.....http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1592549&mode=2

1/31/2015 9:42 am  #7

florentine wrote:

They have an eagle cam at Codorus state Park.....http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1592549&mode=2

Florentine, thanks for sharing this link. Perhaps I will see the eagle towards dark when it roosts. This same site tells us that 30 years ago there were only three eagle nests known in the entire state of Pennsylvania and that today there are over 250 known nests. That is a real success story. Perhaps someday we will see the return of some of the other species that have dwindled or almost disappeared like the bison which once roamed the state or the wolf or the woodcock. I would even be glad to see the return of the Eastern Ringneck Pheasant to this area. About 40 years ago, you could find them everywhere in fields around York. All you had to do was walk through a field. Some of my most delicious Thanksgiving dinners were pheasant.

1/31/2015 9:45 am  #8

Just Fred wrote:

South of Columbia.  Right now it is 5.5 miles long, so a round trip is 11 miles.  But, it is one of the best and most scenic bike paths I've ever ridden.  Complete with a few picnic tables , lookout places, and porta potties.

Yes, I am familiar with the one south of Columbia. I am also the told that the one North of Columbia is really neat. I am not sure if it is finished but I think there are plans to connect Columbia to Bainbridge with this trail. Parts of it are finished. When it gets a little warmer I would like to ride on it.

1/31/2015 6:29 pm  #9

I hope you get to see something JimmyBear.  I took a peek this morning and an Eagle was in the nest.  The wind was ruffling it's feathers and it looked magnificent.  Then it reach down and starting tearing up something and eating it.  Bleeeeeeeeck.......

2/02/2015 9:08 am  #10

florentine wrote:

I hope you get to see something JimmyBear.  I took a peek this morning and an Eagle was in the nest.  The wind was ruffling it's feathers and it looked magnificent.  Then it reach down and starting tearing up something and eating it.  Bleeeeeeeeck.......

I have been watching this morning. Yesterday and last night I could not get access to the site. I didn't see the eagle yet, but this morning I saw three squirrels messing around in the eagle's nest and stealing the soft hay or grass bedding. They wiould stuff their mouths with the hay and leave -- probably padding or insulating their own nests in preparation for the cold night ahead. They better be careful or they will be food for the eagle -- although not their faborite food which I believe is fish.

Board footera