The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2018 11:11 am  #1

Wondering

I'm starting to wonder if the outcry against black athletes kneeling during the anthem wasn't about something other than respecting the flag.

Oh well, remember to be civil to the Trumpkins!

Last edited by Goose (6/24/2018 11:11 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/24/2018 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Wondering

I'll be civil, but I'm going to stand up for democracy.  I'm not a proponent of authoritarian leadership ......... never was, never will be.  I wish the Trump followers would read the book, "How Democracies Die" and read it with an intellectually curious mind.  But, maybe that's asking too much?

6/27/2018 5:54 pm  #3

Re: Wondering

Fred, based on your earlier recommendation to read the book How Democracies Die I contacted our local library. Yeah, I know how that dates me - that my wife and I still use our local public library, but they didn’t have the book but would get it for me. About a week after I contacted them, they notified me that they had the book and it was reserved for me. I picked it up and read it. The book was written by political science professors. I majored in political science for my undergraduate degree. I found the book well researched and wrttten. I also found the comparisons of how democracies have been usurped through internal political maneuvers without waging war by authoritarians around the world troubling. Especially when compared to the tactics employed by the current resident of the White House. I have also recommended the book to others . . . some that agree with my evaluation and some that are strong Trump supporters. The feedback I have gotten is that, despite the factual research and historical examples provided, it didn’t change anybody’s perspective. It just seems that the political divisions in our country at this time are way to deep. That, in itself, as the book points out, should be cause for major concern about our democracy.

Board footera