The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2018 9:19 am  #1

Who Will it Be?

Who will be the opponent in America's next ill advised war?
Mark my words, as the Trump administration spirals ever lower, somebody is going to get the bright idea to break out the Marines.
So, North Korea? Russia? Venezuela?

I am ruling out war with North Korea, because China has made it pretty clear that, in event that folks start shooting, they will support NK. So, I don't see NK as the target of rational minds. But, if we blunder into a shooting war, it's gonna be ugly.

Russia? Well, things are pretty tense. But, the Russians' unquestioned ability to take care of themselves in war makes this unlikely.

Venezuela? Hey, a "peacekeeping" (AKA invasion) mission could probably be cheaply done. We could "protect human rights" read protect business interests pretty cheaply in terms of blood. Lots of mission accomplished, rockets red glare, photo ops.

But, my money is on Iran.

Pompeo may be even more hawkish on Iran than Trump, a bad sign for the Iran nuclear deal

President Trump's nomination of Mike Pompeo as secretary of State probably augurs the end of the 2015 accord that has blocked Iran from building nuclear weapons, an agreement praised by world powers but detested by Trump — and by Pompeo, a notable hawk on the Islamic Republic.

Trump has set a May 12 deadline to withdraw from the Iran nuclear accord unless European allies "fix" it, a prospect that appears unlikely. The president also has agreed to meet in May with Kim Jong Un to try to persuade the North Korean leader to surrender his already large nuclear arsenal, which seems even more remote.
In Pompeo, the president will get a bellicose secretary of State who, while serving in Congress in 2014, called for breaking off talks with Tehran and launching hundreds of airstrikes instead against its nuclear facilities — not unlike Trump's vow last year to unleash "fire and fury" against North Korea.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-fg-pompeo-iran-deal-20180316-story.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera