The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2018 3:55 pm  #1

Will you Be Ashamed?

Will you be ashamed when you child, or grandchild asks, "What did you do during the school shooting epidemic?"

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/18/2018 8:06 am  #2

Re: Will you Be Ashamed?

I just got back from Florida yesterday evening.  I was there during the shooting.  Obviously it was the topic of discussion for the past few days.  A couple of Florida elected mucky-mucks were making statements.  More than one suggested the way to confront the issue was to have teachers and staff take classes in the use of weaponry and pack heat in the classroom.  Of course they sent their 'thoughts and prayers' to the family of the victims.

Only one that I heard said it is time to end the sale of military-style weaponry to the public.

Then I heard Donald Trump shift the blame to the FBI because they didn't 'follow up' on the person who notified them of the danger this guy posed.  Interestingly enough had they 'followed up', it wouldn't have been enough to stop this guy from buying an AR-15.

I'm so pissed I can't see straight.

2/18/2018 8:45 am  #3

I live in solid blue Berkshire County, Massachusetts. I send money, letters to my senators. But, I'm preaching to the choir. There seems not to be much more I can do.

But, right over the border is NY's 19th district. Their Rep is a republican, and a gun rights supporter.
It's considered a battleground district.
I'm going to volunteer over there in the fall. Send money, drive people to the polls.

I owe it to the children.

Last edited by Goose (2/18/2018 8:45 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/18/2018 8:49 am  #4

I hear you Fred. It was bad enough when all the politicians that rely on $$$$$ from groups like the NRA to get re-elected to stand in front of cameras and deflect from saying anything about gun control. When I heard what Trump said about blaming the FBI for the shooting because it was spending too much time investigating Russian intrusion into our election, I didn’t know whether to scream, cry, or explode. What a colossal jerk! Even with another mass shooting tragedy where kids and teachers are murdered in what should be a safe haven for them, all Trump, the ultimate narcissist, can think about is himself. He transfers the grief and empathy he should be feeling for these innocent victims, their families, and the community into a rant against the law enforcement group that is investigating his administration. He tries to turn this horrific shooting into a condemnation of the FBI in order to show how inept they are in any investigation—that he will attempt to apply to the investigation into his illegal dealings, collusion with Russians, and obstruction of justice.

Too bad that the idiots we elected to office don’t seem to have the insight, empathy, knowledge, integrity, courage, and forthrightness to articulate what the students of the Florida high school are saying in front of the cameras. Makes you wonder who the adults are here.

I sincerely hope his distorted, misguided, and selfish view he exposed will act as further impetus to FBI agent’s to dig into the facts in their investigation of Trump, his family, and his politically appointed stooges. I hope Mueller’s investigation will end with them all being utterly disgraced, imprisoned, impeached, and without any standing in our society.

Last edited by Rongone (2/18/2018 9:23 am)

2/18/2018 10:04 am  #5

Oh, and I forgot to mention that 'bullet-proof backpack' commercials were popping up on tv down there along with stores advertising them.

Check it out, and yet this one example of where we are going, and for $189 you can buy one for your kid and grandkids. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bulletproof-backpack-school-shooting-protection-children-guns-florida-a8214716.html#commentsDiv

Of course, if you really care about your kids, you'll want to spring for this one:

Bullet Blocker, another website that sells bulletproof backpacks “Proudly manufactured in the United States of America,” offers the backpacks at a hefty price, with backpacks starting at $225 and going up to $490.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/18/2018 10:15 am)

2/18/2018 1:38 pm  #6

NOT the industries we want coming back ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/18/2018 3:08 pm  #7

This is the way our president mourns the mass murder of 17 people at a school:

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump attended a party at Mar-a-Lago on Friday just hours after visiting first responders and wounded survivors of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting that killed 17 people.

The event was a Studio 54-themed disco party, according to CNN

This guy is disgusting, disgraceful, and totally disengaged from reality.

2/18/2018 8:38 pm  #8

Just Fred wrote:

I
Then I heard Donald Trump shift the blame to the FBI because they didn't 'follow up' on the person who notified them of the danger this guy posed. 

Is it possible that all the obsession over alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 Presidential election--whether for or against HRC or for or against DJT--has distracted the FBI from its primary mission and diverted its resources away from swift follow up to threat-laced "social media" posts?

Life is an Orthros.

2/19/2018 6:08 am  #9

Tarnation wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

I
Then I heard Donald Trump shift the blame to the FBI because they didn't 'follow up' on the person who notified them of the danger this guy posed. 

Is it possible that all the obsession over alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 Presidential election--whether for or against HRC or for or against DJT--has distracted the FBI from its primary mission and diverted its resources away from swift follow up to threat-laced "social media" posts?

I don't know. The FBI is a huge organization. One could hope that they can do two things at the same time.
If you look at the numbers, it gives an idea of scale. The Mueller investigation has cost about $7 Million thus far, against an annual FBI budget of $8.7 Billion. Looks like only a very small amount of the FBI's resources have been diverted to Russia.

And, since the 1040s, national security has been part of the FBI's primary mission. A hostile power attempting to manipulate our election process, in my eyes, involves national security.

We might also ask the same thing of the President. Has his obsession with NFL athletes kneeling, Comey, celebrities, CNN has distracted him from his primary mission?

Anyway, Trump's charge is interesting. Don't investigate this possibe crime or you may allow that possible crime

Last edited by Goose (2/19/2018 6:21 am)

2/19/2018 7:33 am  #10

Many people, including Donald Trump, don't seem to understand how the FBI works.  There are actually two separate divisions ................ one focuses on domestic issues, law enforcement, etc., and the other focuses on National Security issues.

Board footera