The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2018 6:17 am  #1

Mental Illness and Mass shootings.

Once, again, America has experienced a deadly mass shooting.
A Dreary and familiar ritual will begin.
There will be "Thoughts and Prayers".
Then everyone will retreat to their prepared positions and start screaming.
The Government will do nothing. 
And it will happen again.

One argument of the pro-gun crowd is that the real problem is not guns, it's mental illness.
OK. anybody who shoots up a school, or a concert is obviously dangerously insane.

However, The United States has many many more mass shootings than do other developed countries.
Why?

IF the problem is mental illness,  AND, we have more shootings than do other countries,,,,,,,,,,,,
then do we have a higher incidence of mental illness than do other countries?
I've seen no data to suggest that.

Do other countries have better mental healthcare systems than we do? I thought that we had a much better system than those pansy Europeans with their universal healthcare.

I really have huge problems with the mental illness explanation.
IF the incidence of mental illness in the US is about the same as it is everywhere else.
And
IF serious mental illness is just as difficult to treat in Europe as it is here
Then, there has to be something else causing the difference in shooting rates.

The difference is guns. Specifically military style semi-autos.

They got crazy people in Europe too. They just don't all have AR-15s.

Pretty simple really.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/15/2018 6:20 am  #2

Re: Mental Illness and Mass shootings.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/15/2018 8:29 am  #3

I agree with your statement.

Until reasonable, rational people (not the stonewalling, uncompromising stakeholders that will blame others and refuse to listen to differing points of view) manage to sit down, discuss, trade insights, and complete a viable root cause analysis on these uniquely American mass shootings, nothing will change.

More incidents like this will happen.

Unless we get serious and cooperatively move in a direction that will result in some real problem solving, I expect this will continue to happen with increasing frequency.

2/15/2018 9:33 am  #4

There have been 18 school shooting ALREADY in 2018 (the majority thus far have NOT resulted in fatalities thank heavens). Add to this that there have been 30 mass shooting this year in total (including the school ones). We obviously have a BIG problem here in the US that we keep ignoring finding ways to help make things better. Thoughts and prayers are NOT enough. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/18-school-shootings-us-year-group/story?id=53091125

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera