The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2018 6:58 am  #1

The Right's Ever Changing Denial on Climate Change

Let me count the ways:

1. It's a Chinese hoax to hurt America
2. It's a plot by liberals to subvert capitalism and redistribute wealth.
3. I found one study arguing against the 97% of studies that show climate change. I believe this one study.
4. It got cold in Washington and New York on New Years Eve. Therefore there is no climate change.
5. It used to be called Global Warming. Now it's called climate change.  Aha!!!. Gotcha! Therefore it isn't happening.
6. It's happening. But CO2 has nothing to do with it. It's sun spots.
7. The climate has changed before. Therefore there is no Man made climate change.
8. OK it is CO2. But there is no proof that it is from human activities.

And, finally
9. OK. It's happening. And it is being caused by human activities. But, it might be a good thing. Hey, I have no evidence to support that view, but who knows?  Maybe.
So, why worry?

I don't know about any of you, but these guys really, really seem to be trustworthy.

EPA Head Scott Pruitt Says Global Warming May Help “Humans Flourish”

EPA administrator says “There are assumptions made that because the climate is warming that necessarily is a bad thing.”

This story was originally published by The Guardian and appears here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration. 

Scott Pruitt, the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, has suggested that global warming may be beneficial to humans, in his latest departure from mainstream climate science.

Pruitt, who has previously erred by denying that carbon dioxide is a key driver of climate change, has again caused consternation among scientists by suggesting that warming temperatures could benefit civilization.

The EPA administrator said that humans are contributing to climate “to a certain degree”, but added: “We know humans have most flourished during times of warming trends. There are assumptions made that because the climate is warming that necessarily is a bad thing.

“Do we know what the ideal surface temperature should be in the year 2100 or year 2018?” he told a TV station in Nevada. “It’s fairly arrogant for us to think we know exactly what it should be in 2100.”
Pruitt said he wanted an “honest, transparent debate about what we do know and what we don’t know, so the American people can be informed and make decisions on their own”.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2018/02/epa-head-scott-pruitt-says-global-warming-may-help-humans-flourish/

Last edited by Goose (2/09/2018 6:59 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/09/2018 1:55 pm  #2

Re: The Right's Ever Changing Denial on Climate Change

And look, we are helping speed this good thing along !! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/09/2018 4:24 pm  #3

Re: The Right's Ever Changing Denial on Climate Change

From, "it ain't happening" to
"It's happening and it may be totally awesome". 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera