The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2018 10:07 am  #1

Preparing for the State of the Union Address

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—

With just one day until Donald J. Trump’s first State of the Union address, the cast of “Fox and Friends” is working furiously on the final draft of the speech, members confirmed today.

“We’ve really been burning the midnight oil,” Steve Doocy, the host of the Fox program, said. “We have so much to say tomorrow night, and we want to get it all in there.”

Doocy said that when he read the first draft of the State of the Union address last week, he “kind of flipped out” when he realized that there was “absolutely no mention of Hillary Clinton’s Hydra-like tentacles controlling the 'Deep State.'

“The State of the Union address is the President’s chance to tell the American people where the country is and where it’s going,” Doocy said. “You can’t do that without talking about how Crooked Hillary is funnelling her Russian-uranium riches directly into Bob Mueller’s bank account in the Seychelles.”

While Trump reportedly has had input from other sources, including the Fox News anchor Sean Hannity, the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, and several neo-Nazi Twitter accounts, Doocy said that the cast of “Fox & Friends” has final approval of the version that Trump will read Tuesday night.

“Someone has to have the last word,” Doocy said. “There are a lot of voices in President Trump’s head, and that’s not including the actual voices that are always in his head.”

Last edited by Just Fred (1/30/2018 10:09 am)

1/30/2018 11:01 am  #2

Re: Preparing for the State of the Union Address

Pretty funny.
By the way, who is planning on watching it?

I will not.
It doesn't matter what he says. I suspect that Trump will read a speech and look, for a moment, like a normal human being.
But in three days we will be right back to where we are now.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/30/2018 11:35 am  #3

I might surf around and bump into it off-and-on.  I believe it comes on at 9pm, so I might actually be in bed reading the new Dan Brown novel, "Origin".

1/30/2018 12:14 pm  #4

Since this is the first time for a new Administration I will probably watch it; generally in the succeeding years I wait until the Washington Post or NYT has posted a transcript.   Much faster reading than hearing it --and I can skip all the applause.

Life is an Orthros.

1/30/2018 12:35 pm  #5

Tarnation wrote:

Since this is the first time for a new Administration I will probably watch it; generally in the succeeding years I wait until the Washington Post or NYT has posted a transcript.   Much faster reading than hearing it --and I can skip all the applause.

In recent years I've gone the same route. I simply have become tired of the phony ritual that all recent Presidents have bought into; the laundry lists of things to be done,the people placed in the balcony to be used as stage props, the applause count, the rebuttal, the drooling or bouncing press figures. It's all just so cynically fake.

Last edited by Goose (1/30/2018 12:36 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/30/2018 1:15 pm  #6

Goose wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

In recent years I've gone the same route. I simply have become tired of the phony ritual that all recent Presidents have bought into; the laundry lists of things to be done,the people placed in the balcony to be used as stage props, the applause count, the rebuttal, the drooling or bouncing press figures. It's all just so cynically fake.

Political theater/theater of the absurd.

Life is an Orthros.

1/30/2018 3:29 pm  #7

And, here's a real treat:

President Trump's re-election campaign will cash in on the State of the Union address Tuesday night with a fundraising pitch:

Send us at least $35, and we'll scroll your name during a live stream of the president's speech.

The fundraising technique is raising eyebrows from ethics watchdogs, who say the unprecedented attempt to raise money off an official White House event crosses a line. “Donald Trump is commercializing and corrupting yet another national institution, making this just the latest disgraceful degradation by Trump of the presidency and our public institutions," said Robert Weissman, president, Public Citizen.

"I have never heard of anything like this," said Fred Wertheimer, president of the organization Democracy 21. "It is a no class, money-grubbing misuse of the State of the Union address that is way beneath the dignity of the presidency and the occasion."

In a solicitation, the Trump campaign asks supporters to "make a special State of the Union contribution to have your name broadcast on the Official Donald J. Trump for President livestream.

"Suggested contributions range from $35 to $2,700.

Last edited by Just Fred (1/30/2018 3:31 pm)

1/30/2018 3:37 pm  #8

Tarnation wrote:

Goose wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

Political theater/theater of the absurd.

BINGO !  

And I will add that what I DON'T see coming out of any of this is ANY sense of cooperattion that the country so desperately needs. We are more divided now than ever. Wish I could see a turning point, but untill we can elect politicians that can actually govern by coopeation we will be a divided nation. That is not to say that the political tables will not change, but just changing players to others who are more of the same is NOT the answer. 

Last edited by tennyson (1/30/2018 3:43 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/30/2018 4:05 pm  #9

Just Fred wrote:

And, here's a real treat:

President Trump's re-election campaign will cash in on the State of the Union address Tuesday night with a fundraising pitch:

Send us at least $35, and we'll scroll your name during a live stream of the president's speech.
In a solicitation, the Trump campaign asks supporters to "make a special State of the Union contribution to have your name broadcast on the Official Donald J. Trump for President livestream.

"Suggested contributions range from $35 to $2,700.

Those folks just drip with class.  

What's next,corporate sponsorship for Presidential actions?

Breaking news; The Chik fil a - Presidential airstrike on North Korea.

Last edited by Goose (1/30/2018 4:17 pm)

1/30/2018 6:32 pm  #10

It's all about cashing-in.  Not that much different from tele-evangelists cashing in on the the hopes and fears of the blinded masses that follow them.  Remember:  Many of them say Donald Trump was chosen by God.

Board footera