The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 7:36 am  #1

How Does This Serve America's Interests?

It started as a campaign promise.
Donald Trump wanted to appeal to Pro-Israel American Jews. 
He also wanted to win over Evangelicals who were a little uncomfortable with what I will charitably refer to as Trump's "character".

It sounded decisive.

It sounded tough.

And, let's call a spade a spade: it sounded anti-Muslim, which played right into Trump's blustering campaign strategy.

But, now the election is over. And, while this decision will thrill his base, I have to ask questions:
OK, you America-firsters, what does moving our embassy to Jerusalem do for us?
How does this serve America's interests?

I see it as causing increased terror and death. It destroys the idea that America is an honest broker.
It puts a target on the back of every American citizen.

For what?
Please, give me the plan.

U.S. to Recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital, Trump Says, Alarming Middle East Leaders

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the American Embassy there, upending nearly seven decades of American foreign policy and potentially destroying his efforts to broker peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

Mr. Trump’s decision, a high-risk foray into the thicket of the Middle East, was driven not by diplomatic calculations but by a campaign promise. He appealed to evangelicals and ardently pro-Israel American Jews in 2016 by vowing to move the embassy, and advisers said on Tuesday he was determined to make good on his word.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/world/middleeast/american-embassy-israel-trump-move.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Last edited by Goose (12/06/2017 9:02 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/06/2017 9:32 am  #2

Re: How Does This Serve America's Interests?

Flush the notion of a Mid East peace down the tubes as well as any notion that the US can be a middle man in negotiating ANYTHING there. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

12/06/2017 10:50 am  #3

Hey, how about this ............... Israel is going to move our capital to St. Louis.

12/06/2017 11:31 am  #4

Let’s not forget that the country of Israel and its boundaries were created by the allies after the defeat of Germany in WW II. Nobody asked the countries or the people that were actually living there how they felt about that.

Board footera