The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2017 5:54 am  #1

In Lahore, Pakistan, Smog Has Become a ‘Fifth Season’

In Lahore, Pakistan, Smog Has Become a ‘Fifth Season’

LAHORE, Pakistan — For nearly two weeks, Lahore, Pakistan’s second-largest city, has been like one huge airport smokers’ lounge. But Abid Omar’s jaw still dropped on Wednesday, when he checked the air-quality monitor he had installed to track the city’s appalling pollution.

It said that levels of the dangerous particulates known as PM2.5, small enough to penetrate deep into the lungs and enter the bloodstream, had reached 1,077 micrograms per cubic meter — more than 30 times what Pakistan’s government considers the safe limit.

“You can see and smell the smoke all day; you can actually touch the filth,” said Amna Manan, a 26-year-old manager for a multinational company in Lahore, a city of 11 million. “Half the time, I’m scared to breathe in.”

While Delhi’s air quality has generated headlines worldwide in recent days, experts say the air in Lahore rivals the Indian capital’s for toxicity. The problem is not limited to the city; in 2015, according to a World Health Organization estimate, almost 60,000 Pakistanis died from the high level of fine particles in the air, one of the world’s highest death tolls from air pollution.

For years, Pakistani environmentalists have referred to November, when crop burning, higher emissions and cold weather combine to blanket Lahore and the rest of Punjab Province with acrid smog, as a “fifth season.” As in India, which Punjab borders, the problem seems to have been getting worse, and this month it has reached what many Pakistanis are calling a crisis point.
“Lahore looks like a dystopian wasteland right now, kind of like a scene from ‘Blade Runner,’” said Adil Ghazi, a business owner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/world/asia/lahore-smog-pakistan.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=12&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F11%2F10%2Fworld%2Fasia%2Flahore-smog-pakistan.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/11/2017 4:47 pm  #2

Re: In Lahore, Pakistan, Smog Has Become a ‘Fifth Season’

They should have agreed to the Paris accord I am sure it would have help them. Oh wait....... 
Never mind.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

11/12/2017 6:52 am  #3

Common Sense wrote:

They should have agreed to the Paris accord I am sure it would have help them. Oh wait....... 
Never mind.

Non Sequitur much?

I afraid that you are confused.
The Paris climate accord is an agreement within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change  dealing with greenhouse gas emissions mitigation, adaptation and finance starting in the year 2020. 

Signing it would not make smog magically disappear in 2017.
It's time to move beyond silly one-liners.

Last edited by Goose (11/12/2017 7:18 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/13/2017 4:55 pm  #4

I guess that we've gotten all of the analysis on this subject that Common has to offer,,,,,,

Board footera