The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2017 9:06 am  #1

FBI Reviews Allegations Of Puerto Rican Officials Withholding Hurrican

Can't get much lower than this. Withholding supplies from people who need them.

FBI Reviews Allegations Of Puerto Rican Officials Withholding Hurricane Relief

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/12/fbi-reviews-allegations-of-puerto-rican-officials-withholding-hurricane-relief/

WASHINGTON — The Federal Bureau of Investigation in Puerto Rico received multiple allegations from residents across the island who say local officials in the territory have withheld needed FEMA supplies.“People call us and tell us some misappropriation of some goods and supplies by supposedly politicians, not necessarily mayors, but people that work for the mayors in certain towns,” FBI Special Agent Carlos Osorio told The Daily Caller Wednesday.

Osorio explained, “They’re supposedly withholding these goods and these supplies and instead of handing them out to people who really need them, [there are claims] that [local officials] are assigning them to their buddies first–people that have voted for them or people that contributed to their campaigns or what not.”He added, “So what we’re doing is looking into these allegations. That I can tell you is happening.

Again, I cannot say that we have any ongoing investigation. We’re just corroborating these allegations.”

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/13/2017 9:09 am  #2

Re: FBI Reviews Allegations Of Puerto Rican Officials Withholding Hurrican

Smearing PR.
Nice

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 9:18 am  #3

That report from the Daily Caller — Tucker Carlson’s biased, unresearched, ridiculous rag that the SCA Named The Daily Caller "Most Unethical News Publication" — is full of Pinocchios (which is typical of his “reporting”).

Tucker ought to get on a plane, go to Puerto Rico and the USVI, talk to the actual volunteers and people on the ground to get the actual facts. Tucker Carlson is a joke when it comes to facts and truth.

10/13/2017 9:29 am  #4

It's feeding the emerging trump narrative,,, that PR somehow doesn't deserve help.
Shameful

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/13/2017 9:31 am  #5

That so-called 'news' organization is a bit 'out there', Common.  Do a little fact-checking on this story and get back to us.  I'll then respond if you want me to.

10/13/2017 9:47 am  #6

Just Fred wrote:

That so-called 'news' organization is a bit 'out there', Common.  Do a little fact-checking on this story and get back to us.  I'll then respond if you want me to.

Guess what Fred you already responded.... Please prove the story is false! 
Here you go Fred... but wait you hate FOX news!   Just freaking hilarious  responses here...

FBI in Puerto Rico investigating if corrupt local officials are 'withholding' or 'mishandling' crucial supplies

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/12/fbi-in-puerto-rico-investigating-if-corrupt-local-officials-are-withholding-or-mishandling-crucial-supplies.html

“The complaints we’re hearing is that mayors of local municipalities, or people associated with their offices, are giving their political supporters special treatment, goods they’re not giving to other people who need them,” FBI Special Agent Carlos Osorio told Fox News.Osorio, an agent with the FBI in San Juan, said the bureau was investigating the allegations.“

The U.S. attorney has made it clear if anyone is caught mishandling FEMA supplies, they will be prosecuted and could end up facing anywhere from five to 20 years in prison," Osorio said.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

10/13/2017 9:49 am  #7

Fake news, common!

10/13/2017 10:07 am  #8

Daily Caller, Fox News, Infowars, Washington Times, USSA News, Founders Code, RWC News

These are the outlets that have picked up and run with this version of the story. Do you see any linkage between these “news” sources?

No reputable, factual, respectable, responsible news outlets have picked up the story.

What we have been hearing from our island resident friends is that there are concerns with the ineffective distribution system that FEMA has instituted that has not met the standards promised to deliver goods and services to needy citizens and remote areas. THAT is what authorities are looking into to, hopefully, remove the restrictions and ineffectiveness of the current distribution networks.

10/13/2017 10:55 am  #9

Hey, when people are desperate and there are those in control who can make a buck or turn a political favor, I would not doubt for a second that SOME of this might be going on.

If you read the story closely you will read that individual reports are of local officials (ie mayors of locations or other officials) may be wiltholding supplies for various reasons including political favors to their supporters. 

I notice that Common likes to point things out like this when he thinks it means D-party corruption but this could go either way. I would be surprised if any of the corruptness (IF it exists) winds up being more R-tribers than D-tribers if he will pay any more attention to it. My guess is no. 

I think most of us whether Democrat, Republican, or Independent would like people that withhold or mismanage emergency supplies to see swift prosecution. Somehow I don't think that was the spirit in which the article was posted. 

Last edited by tennyson (10/13/2017 10:57 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/13/2017 11:03 am  #10

Good post, T.
I think that the article was presented to play into the trump narrative that PR doesn't deserve the help that other areas get because "they cause their own problems '. The president has tweeted as much more than once.

Board footera