The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2017 3:13 pm  #1

The Next Senator From Alabama?

Judge, and Senate Candidate Roy Moore dropping some knowledge on us. 

Should I laugh or cry?

Wait, I'm not supposed to be an elitist progressive and think that Southern Republicans are stupid. But, jeeze-oh-man, do they have to make it so hard. 

Roy Moore
There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities.

But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts.

Jeff Stein
Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?

Roy Moore
Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana — up there. I don't know.

Jeff Stein
That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make.

Roy Moore
Well, let me just put it this way — if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.

Alabama GOP Senate frontrunner: “there are communities under Sharia law right now”
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/15/16151182/alabama-senate-roy-moore

Last edited by Goose (8/15/2017 3:14 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/15/2017 3:51 pm  #2

Re: The Next Senator From Alabama?

......if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.
Does this say more about him, or more about about the people that would vote for him?  It's a tossup.

8/15/2017 4:18 pm  #3

Just Fred wrote:

......if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.
Does this say more about him, or more about about the people that would vote for him?  It's a tossup.

Good question Fred. I think it says more about the average voter in Alabama, or to be more precise, Mr. Moore's opinion of the average voter. He's willing to toss out an explosive accusation, and it's quite clear that even he's in on the joke. He knows it's not true. But he's banking on his voters being too stupid to know that it's not true.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/15/2017 4:55 pm  #4

Roy Moore on his claim that sharia law exists in U.S. Communities "up there": "I don't know"

Yeah . . . he'll fit in just swell with the current bunch of doofuses in our federal legislature.

8/15/2017 5:49 pm  #5

The best the GOP has to offer ???   

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera