The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2017 1:45 pm  #1

Most Republicans say colleges have negative impact on US

Most Republicans say colleges have negative impact on US

A majority of Republicans in a new survey think colleges and universities have a negative effect on the U.S.

The Pew Research Center poll finds 58 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents think colleges and universities hurt the country.

Just 36 percent of Republicans think they have a positive effect.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/341305-poll-most-republicans-say-colleges-have-negative-impact-on-us

Last edited by Goose (7/10/2017 1:45 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/10/2017 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Most Republicans say colleges have negative impact on US

Unbelievable is all I can think to say. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/10/2017 7:56 pm  #3

Some of these people need to be reminded that teaching makes all professions possible.  Maybe they would choose a medicine man over a doctor or a surgeon?  It does, however, give us some insight into the election of Donald Trump.

Last edited by Just Fred (7/10/2017 7:57 pm)

7/12/2017 8:29 am  #4

Republican views of higher ed impact on society turn sharply negative

http://legalinsurrection.com/2017/07/republican-views-of-higher-ed-impact-on-society-turn-sharply-negative/

There is only so long higher ed can continue biting the hand that feeds it.
At Legal Insurrection we have focused on higher education as much, if not more (I’m not taking the time to count 8 years of posts), than any other subject.We even had a website for several years, College Insurrection, focused on higher ed. Now we have consolidated our higher ed coverage at Legal Insurrection.

You can click on the College Insurrection Tag to see some (not all) of our posts. Try also our Free Speech and Academic Freedom tags, as well as specific tags for colleges and universities like Bowdoin CollegeBrown UniversityColumbia UniversityCornellCUNYEvergreen State CollegeHamilton CollegeHarvardHarvard LawOberlinUC-DavisUCLA, and Vassar College.

If you are in a mood to throw up in your mouth a little, also scroll through our BDS tag, much of which concerns higher ed. You get the point. Our dashboard tells me that we have published 24,288 posts. I’m going to guesstimate that 2-3,000 of them concern higher ed in some manner.

To put it bluntly, higher ed is profoundly broken both at the educational and political level. Even if most of the parts are not broken, there are enough broken parts to create a hostile campus environment for non-liberal students, and for just about anyone who varies from the progressive party line. Freedom of speech on campus is under severe attack from “microaggression” and “safe space” theory, as well as more traditional forms of political correctness.

At the same time, the Obama administration dictated a legal environment in which higher ed institutions were forced to create the equivalents of kangaroo courts to prosecute and persecute young men accused of some form of sexual misconduct.

When we started College Insurrection in 2012, there weren’t many websites covering these issues and exposing what was happening. Over time the coverage grew, and social media has allowed the absurdity of what is happening to gain widespread exposure.

Last edited by Common Sense (7/12/2017 8:30 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

7/12/2017 8:44 am  #5

Yea, well, Legal Insurrection has a product to sell. And that product is resentment.

I see the problem much differently.
There has been a concerted effort on the far right to demonize college education for quite some time.
It is part of a populist movement which rejects rationalism and educated elites.

Now we have reached the point at which people who have rarely (If ever) set foot on a college campus - and get all of their "knowledge" about higher education from hatemongers like Todd Starnes - hold forth on the "problems" with higher education.

Anti-intellectualism has always been a part of the American scene.*  It is largely based upon jealousy and ignorance. In the past generation incomes for professionals have soared while those of the lower middle class have stagnated. Those left behind want someone to blame. And they have settled upon globalists, intellectuals, and the educated class to blame for their woes. And, it isn't going away. Look for them to seize up every example of some sort of excess and claim that it is typical of college life. (Even as they would howl in outrage if I took an isolated egregious comment from the Fox site and claimed that it was typical of the far right).

But the fundamental good is undeniable. If there ever is a cure for cancer, or a Mars mission, it isn't going to come from some loudmouth on a bar stool, or the comment section of Legalinsurrection.

* While anti-intellectualism has seemed to peak in the election of Donald Trump, it has deep roots.
 Interested parties might want to read the classic Anti-Intellectualism in American Life. By Richard Hofstdter.
You'll find that epithets for educated people such as "Egghead" go back at least to the 1950s

Last edited by Goose (7/12/2017 8:56 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/12/2017 9:42 am  #6

So the alternative is "Keep en' dumb" ??? 
Some alternative. 

The basic notion of MAGA has to be rooted in education. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/14/2017 1:51 pm  #7

To put down or bad-mouth or denigrate education at any any level is anti-American and anti-democracy.  How in god's name can you maintain a democratic nation without an educated population?  I'd take this whole thing one step farther and support tuition-free education from kindergarten through phD for anyone with the ability, desire, and work ethic to go as far as they can educationally.  That's how I'd help 'make America great again'.

I have degrees in biology and art.  When I was in class learning and studying both subjects, I couldn't have given a rat's ass about some other student's political philosophy, and neither did my instructors.

I have no more to say about this goofball thread.

Last edited by Just Fred (7/14/2017 1:56 pm)

7/14/2017 2:15 pm  #8

Education is freedom.

A few observations:

1. An outspoken conservative relative of mine complained that universities have a liberal bias. I asked for an example. He said;
"Look at how many college professors believe in climate change. That's so liberal".

I responded, "They are just making a rational conclusion based upon scientific evidence. You are the one who decided that climate change was liberal."

2. Why do people worry about how many college professors are liberal, but they don't worry about how many army officers are conservative? Just asking.

Last edited by Goose (7/14/2017 2:24 pm)

7/14/2017 3:03 pm  #9

Look, for every college or university with a so-called liberal bias, there is a college or university with a conservative bias. Believe me, I'm certain of this. I went to a small college in western PA where we were required to attend daily chapel services Monday through Friday morning, plus a vesper service on Sunday evening. Along with that, students were required to take and pass a one semester course in Old Testament religion and one semester of New Testament religion in order to graduate and receive a degree.

So, from my perspective, people who piss and moan about liberal educational facilities, take a look around . . . I'm sure you'll be able to find an institute of higher learning that suits your discretionary political leanings. Even on a so-called liberal or conservative campus, you should be able to cultivate a circle of friends that share your values. It used to be that differing points of view could be discussed on campus in a reasonable manner without the harshly divisive rhetoric that exists in our current environment in this country.

7/14/2017 3:22 pm  #10

Just Fred wrote:

To put down or bad-mouth or denigrate education at any any level is anti-American and anti-democracy.  How in god's name can you maintain a democratic nation without an educated population?  I'd take this whole thing one step farther and support tuition-free education from kindergarten through phD for anyone with the ability, desire, and work ethic to go as far as they can educationally.  That's how I'd help 'make America great again'..

There are a lot of businesses and non-profits where the marginally educated workers denigrate the management and executive staff with post high school degrees.   They delight in pointing out those persons' supposed lack of practical knowledge. 

Makes them feel better, I suppose, but it is very sad when the only way to feel good about yourself is by putting other people down.  

Actually, quite evil.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera