The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2017 4:41 pm  #1

Sorry, Donald: Pittsburgh Thinks You Are Wrong About Climate Change

Sorry, Donald: Pittsburgh Thinks You Are Wrong About Climate Change

On Thursday, President Donald Trump portrayed his decision to pull the United States out of the historic Paris climate deal as a key part of his campaign pledge to put America first.

"I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris," the president said.

There's just one problem: The citizens of Pittsburgh are strongly supportive of climate action. According to a recent study from the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication, 68 percent of adults in the Pittsburgh metro area support strict limits on carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants—a key element of the US commitment under the Paris deal. For Allegheny County, which includes Pittsburgh, that number is 74 percent. For Pennsylvania's 14th Congressional District, which also includes Pittsburgh, it's 78 percent.

Roughly two-thirds of Pennsylvanians—and Americans as a whole—believe the United States should remain in the Paris agreement, according to the Yale research.

There doesn't appear to be any data on the popularity of the Paris agreement within Pittsburgh itself, but it's worth noting that the city's mayor, Bill Peduto, actually traveled to Paris during the 2015 negotiations to help press for an agreement. "Pittsburgh and other cities are on the front lines of the climate change crisis, and it is our responsibility to address the deep challenges it is creating for us, our children and our grandchildren," he said in a statement at the time, according to the Pittsburg Post-Gazette.

Peduto took to Twitter Thursday to express his displeasure with Trump's comments:

bill peduto ✔ @billpeduto
Fact: Hillary Clinton received 80% of the vote in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh stands with the world & will follow Paris Agreement @HillaryClinton https://twitter.com/theinclinepgh/status/870368024926224384
3:59 PM - 1 Jun 2017

bill peduto ✔ @billpeduto
As the Mayor of Pittsburgh, I can assure you that we will follow the guidelines of the Paris Agreement for our people, our economy & future. https://twitter.com/presssec/status/870367903337644032
4:03 PM - 1 Jun 2017

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/01/2017 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Sorry, Donald: Pittsburgh Thinks You Are Wrong About Climate Change

Maybe somebody did not tell "the Don". 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

6/01/2017 6:24 pm  #3

It's the very last straw for me.  It should now be obvious to anyone with half a brain that Trump represents his own interests, not the country.

I listened to his address from the Rose Garden until I threw up in my mouth and I couldn't watch it anymore.  Can't wait for the fact-check on this one.  BTW, the mayor of Pittsburgh said his city will continue to follow the Paris Agreement.  Pittsburgh wants to look to the future, not the past.

6/01/2017 10:41 pm  #4

Trump valiantly defends a Pittsburgh that doesn't exist anymore.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/02/2017 4:27 am  #5

Pittsburgh, back in the great days of coal

Last edited by Goose (6/02/2017 4:27 am)

6/02/2017 7:16 am  #6

Yeah, let's go back to the 'good ole days'.

I was born in a town just outside of Pittsburgh.  At the time my dad worked for J&L Steel.  I remember the sky glowed orange all night long, and every morning there was a fine coat of black grit over everything.  My mom gave me rag to wipe off the swing set every day when I went into the backyard.  I knew no better .....I figured that's what all kids had to do.  Yeah, let's go back to those 'good ole days'.

6/02/2017 7:29 am  #7

I grew up in a small town in north central PA. The West branch of the Susquehanna river was nearly dead from strip mine acid runoff.
My dad worked in an aniline dye plant for years. Used to come home with a fine dust on him every day.
Dad got bladder cancer about 12 years ago (It's a risk of exposure to aniline) and has been wearing a bag ever since.

The EPA established a superfund site there to clean up the contaminated ground water.

I make sure that my yearly physical includes an examination for blood in the urine.

Sure was a great country,,,,,

Last edited by Goose (6/02/2017 7:30 am)

Board footera